Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Cam Belt or not. Opinions please
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
Pud237
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Cam Belt or not. Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Does anyone know when I should get the cambelt done on a V6, the car is 5 years old in July but only has 33k on the clock. Is it possible to have a visual inspection to see what condition it's in. I asked Desire Alfa in Ipswich for a price and I nearly fell over when he quoted me 300 more than 120 more than the clutch kit he had just looked up.
Realisticly you need to get it done. I reckon the cold winters do as much damage as the milage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
The cambelt went on my Sierra whilst driving around town a few years ago. I got a taxi to the local Halfords then home to pick up a socket set and back to the car again, about 20 including belt and fitted it at the side of the road. Back on the road in under an hour. What's happened
You sure it wasn't the fan belt that went? When these Alfa engines shed cambelts, pistons touch valves, bending them and often doing untold damage to the bottom end of the engine. In a V6, if your cambelt goes, you'll be looking at over 1,500 to get it put right, 2,000 wouldn't suprise me.

At the end of the day, just because you can buy a performance/luxury car like an Alfa on a shoestring these days it doesn't mean they are cheap to maintain. This was a lesson I learnt after buying the car, knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bothered..

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome