VCAR Register - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
Mark T

VCAR Register

Hi Guys,
Don't know if anyone can help, but what are the implications of buying and insuring a car on the VCAR register?
Looked at a '99 Fiat Seicento Sporting for wife yesterday, lovely car, but Catagory B loss on VCAR in mid 2000 (understands this means total loss). The price was adjusted accordingly, and the local (reputable)dealer was totally upfront about it all.
The car was professionally re-shelled in late 2000, so really its like a much newer car.

Would you advise me to stay clear, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A DIESEL

i thought cat A means total unrepairable loss, cat B is a distruction order, cat C is repairable but not economical by the insurers, cat D is like the stolen/recovered ones.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A DIESEL

BTW i would have no problem buying a car with a new shell as long it was done properly and the price was adjusted to take it into account.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
wrinx

Hi Mark

check it over very carefully, panel gaps etc.

JB-isn't there a condition certificate usually issued when cars go back on the road?

The only problem is when you come to sell it on, most will be put off by this.

wrinx
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
SGG

Just like Wrinx said, selling the car on could be headache.Unless its ultra cheap i would avoid it. There are so many Seicento's to choose from why lumber yourself with a 'tainted' one.
Is there any proof the car was reshelled ? its seems strange to reshell a cheap Fiat. Was it done professionally or by some guy in a lock-up ?
Not sure about this but i thought catagory A cars are crushed ,catagory B cars were only fit for spares. Salvage yards only sell C & D catagory vehicles.
Be careful ....
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
SGG

Just remembered....
Some insurers will not insurer cars on the VCAR register unless they have a condition inspected certificate/status.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
SGG

Just found this info on www.honestjohn.co.uk website.It confirms whats be said here.
>>>>
29. What is a VCAR?

VCAR was the old name for an Insurance Damage Write-off.

A 'write off' is a colloquial term for a vehicle which has been declared a total loss by an insurer, either following accident damage or theft. There are some 450,000 accident-related write-offs every year and another 150,000 insurance thefts, many of which are subsequently recovered damaged and re-classified. Many write-offs are legitimately allowed back on the roads following a repair; the safest ones to buy are those which have passed an independent vehicle inspection, such as those on HPI's Condition Inspected register. However, almost half of all write-offs are so badly damaged that qualified insurance inspectors determine that they should never go back on the road. To assist the industry and the used car buyer, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has since 1997 provided the following classification of damage to vehicles that have been deemed an insurance write-off:

o Category A:

Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

o Category B:

The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

o Category C:

Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

o Category D:

Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

o Category F:

Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.

Check if the car you are looking at is on one of these registers by visiting www.hpicheck.com
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
Mark T

Thanks for advice on this one,
What's strange about this VCAR thing is that the dealer selling the car is not obliged by law to actually tell you it's on the register, so whats the point?
Is it a case of "buyer beware"?

Mark
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
wrinx

Yup, "caveat emptor" (sp) strikes again!!! Only way to tell is get it checked out but sounds like your Cinqy shouldn't be on the road!!!

wrinx
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A DIESEL

whats the point a shell could cost over 2K anyway.then theres fitting and painting it cant be worth the effort.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-02
Mark T

yup totally agree with you guys,
What an ass the consumer law is in the UK!
The ABI go to the trouble of setting up the VCAR register, information on which shoud be as available to the average used car buyer as the MOT cert & registration doc, yet consumer law does not require the seller to declare if a car is on the register! This leaves the way open for insurance write offs to be sold to unsuspecting buyers by "less than honest" dealers.

All said, think I'll pass up on this one, and look for a car an old granny's had from new and only been to the shops once a week.

Mark

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

My Latest Transport

View Verbout's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?