Calling all Computer Geeks - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #26 (Post Link)  
Old 07-10-08
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

Re: Calling all Computer Geeks

Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
If you logon via Remote Web Workplace you can select to run the console session, if you dont it starts a fresh one then you get the multiple instances
What is Remote Web Workplace? I've just built a MMC Console with all the snap ins I need to administrate the domain including the Remote Desktops Snap In so I can quickly swap from AD Management onto a server pop into DHCP or DNS do a bit of Group Policy or configure WSUS all from one MMC window.

Very interested in getting my mits on System Centre though as we have the Core CAL which gives us the System Centre connectivity rights.

Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
Leigh, do you have premium with ISA installed as that is how I had mine when I was directly facing the tinternet..?
Without ISA its a bit risky as GD says..
Just got an ISA box in ourselves only really using it as a reverse proxy though got plenty of protection thats about the 3rd layer of threat management on our gateway

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - BMW X3 - Jaguar XF

Last edited by GhostyDog; 07-10-08 at 08:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 (Post Link)  
Old 07-10-08
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

#28 (Post Link)  
Old 07-10-08
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf 1.9JTDM

Well I'm a bit late for this party but reading through it I would suggest the same as the prop management people.

Accessing a database can be slow over a lan, especially smb type ones that don't have an enterprise back end, so connecting to it directly over a VPN isn't going to be great.

Terminal Services (or RDP) is a cut down version of Citrix, you don't need Citrix for your environment, it's nice, and you're right it's expensive.

Don't do what a lot of people do and open port 3389 (Terminal Services) directly to the internet, setup a VPN first. As you have SBS with 2 network cards ensure you have port 1723 (if you want to use a PPTP VPN) on your router, and that it passes through to your servers external network card.

On the server ensure that the VPN is enabled either through the internet connection wizard in server management, or in the Routing and Remote Access MMC.

Ensure your username has dial in rights.

You should now be able to VPN into the office from your home. Once this is connected open up Remote Desktop Connection and type in the IP or name of your work PC.

If it's slow try reducing the resolution and colours.

Hope that helps!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
  #29 (Post Link)  
Old 07-10-08
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
What is Remote Web Workplace?
Tis only on SBS:
The Official SBS Blog : Inside the Remote Web Workplace - Part I

The Remote Web Workplace (RWW) is a dynamically updated web site that provides a single, simple, secure, and consolidated entry point for remote users to access SBS features. It empowers external SBS users by providing one place from which all relevant features of SBS, such as Outlook Web Access and the user’s desktop, can be accessed from outside the network firewall. This feature is only available in SBS 2003.
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Just got an ISA box in ourselves only really using it as a reverse proxy though got plenty of protection thats about the 3rd layer of threat management on our gateway
No hacking for you then! Do you get many security alerts of hackers scratching at the door?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

View Tas1308's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?