One cylinder won't fire... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 12-08-07

Member car:

Spider

One cylinder won't fire...

My 1986 S3 Spider has a problem I can't fathom. All ideas welcome.

No.1 cylinder (front of the block) is not firing. There is a very good spark. There is good compression. But, it won't run. Have cleaned the dizzy cap, changed the lead and plug - nothing. The butterflies on the carbs are moving freely to the eye (I haven't had them apart).

The car drives but is obviously a bit rough.

Carbs somehow? Valves (but there is compression)? Dizzy? Please help.....

I also posted this on AROC, in case you thought there were two of us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 13-08-07
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

'72 Berlina 2000+'13 Mito

Idea Re: One cylinder won't fire...

Mmm , there may be a spark at the lead but is the plug doing its stuff, swap it with another cylinder and see if the fault moves with the plug. Also, if number 1 cylinder is not firing, is the plug getting wet with fuel when cranked from cold, if not then you may have some kind of fuel delivery problem
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 13-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

68 Spider, XJR-S, Subaru

Re: One cylinder won't fire...

You may have the wrong mixture settings for that cylinder, either the carb is out of adjustment or you may have an air leak. I had one cylinder that I couldn't get adjusted and it turned out to be an air leak where the PO hadn't used any gaskets between the manifold and the rubber carb mounts - themselves another possible source of leaks. Being cylinder 1, also check the small vacuum pipe that runs from the front of the manifold.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 14-08-07

Member car:

Spider

There's a tiny air leak when the chokes are open. I ruled it out because it would affect all 4, wouldn't it? Why would it affect only one pot?

And I've tried a new plug and lead - no change.

Thanks guys...
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 14-08-07
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Hers Indoors

Strange that! Pop the plugs on an AC Doctor or similar to check them out? Not short of a compression are you?:
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 14-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

68 Spider, XJR-S, Subaru

Originally Posted by Malfa View Post
There's a tiny air leak when the chokes are open.
An air leak will only upset the mixture if it is up stream of the butterflies - worn spindles, gasket leak, cracked rubber mounts etc. If the leak is in the airbox somewhere it won't have an effect on a single cylinder.

I would recommend that you tune your carbs and get the mixture set right. It can be a bit of a fiddle unless you have a carb synchroniser and/or Colortune to help you out. I shelled out 40 odd quid for a 4 way carb synchroniser and it immediately pinpointed two air leaks as well as making the carbs very simple to set up.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 14-08-07
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta QV 1750

If it isn't spark then it is fuel as you have checked compression whch means valves OK and the engine runs on at least 3 cylinders indication thaT timing is OK.....these engines are simple compared to modern engines. Blocked carby inlet jet for example.

I would have thought that if there was an air leak on No1 cylinder inlet that car would actually run on that cylinder but just run lean.

So is No1 cylinder actually not firing or just running lean???? You can test by starting the car with no1 cylinder spark plug lead off and see if the engine runs any worse. You can remove whilst running but should take precautions against electric shock.

Last edited by Stori; 14-08-07 at 08:27.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 14-08-07
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

First thing I'd do is swap plugs around - 5mins immediately tells you if the plug is sound and also the rest of the ignition system. If the replacement plug in No1 gets wet it sounds like you have an ignition problem. If the plug that was in No1 (and which you have in the meantime cleaned and heated on a gas ring or using Bunsen) works fine in another cylinder, then you had one problem and you've isolated it.
If No1 gets wet again and the thing runs (or tries to) on two cylinders you know you have two problems, and what they are.
Someone might have already mentioned a bad distributor cap. Try going out to it in the dark, opening the bonnet and firing it up, suprising how visible tracking can be.

Doesn't say that in the manual
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 15-08-07

Member car:

Spider

I've tried the plugs - no difference. Plug from no1 works fine in no2, that from no2 makes no difference to no1.

No1 doesn't run lean - it just doesn't run! Nothing, nada.

The carb air leak is, I think, through the spindles; would that affect only no1?

I'll probably sort the leak and see what happens.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 15-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

68 Spider, XJR-S, Subaru

It is possible that the spindle would only leak on one cylinder but it should only be a problem at idle. When you open up the throttle the effect of a small leak will disappear.

It would be worth while taking out the carb jets and cleaning them - use a squirt of carb cleaner and then blow through some air (computer air dusters work well). Do *NOT* use anything solid to clean out the jets. You could also swap the jets for cylinders 1 & 2.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 15-08-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Hers Indoors

Now you are talking. Try removing the gubbins on the end of the spindle, and make a felt washer up which you saturate in thick oil, where it joins the carburettor body/bushing, see how this improves it? Could well be the spindles/bushings, bleeding excess air?:
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 15-08-07
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 24v

I't seems I'm unclear about these symptoms. I took it that it wasn't running at all on No1? Is it then the case that it pulls moderately well on all four under load and misfires at idle/light throttle?
I don't suppose yuo have a vacuum tapping into the manifold or throttle body for No1 do you? If so perhaps you have a leak into that vacuum circuit? Cracked brake servo hose of duff distributor vacuum advance capsule??? Also leading to poor running and very common. I'm sure there are many cars run regularly without the drivers being aware of duff vac. advance caps.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 18-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

Sorry to hijack thread But ! Cosmo What 4 way carb synchroniser did you buy and can you reccomend it..easy to use etc ?.. I didn't realise it can pinpoint leaks !? Cheers N.B.

I would recommend that you tune your carbs and get the mixture set right. It can be a bit of a fiddle unless you have a carb synchroniser and/or Colortune to help you out. I shelled out 40 odd quid for a 4 way carb synchroniser and it immediately pinpointed two air leaks as well as making the carbs very simple to set up.[/QUOTE]
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 18-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

68 Spider, XJR-S, Subaru

Carb synchroniser

My carb synchroniser is actually designed for motorbikes but works just the same for any 4 venturi set up such as the Webers or Dellortos commonly found on our Alfa's. From the picture you can see that it attaches to a take off point on each venturi on the carb - I have them on my DCOE40/32's but some early Webers do not have a place to attach the vacuum hose to.

Tuning by ear isn't actually so difficult but relies on everything working. I couldn't get mine set up correctly, one cylinder was way out of adjustment compared to the rest and fiddling with the mixture, even using a Colortune, didn't help. When I used the carb balancer it was very obvious that number 1 cylinder and number 4 cylinder had lower vacuum than the rest. The rear leak proved to be the brake booster hose, the front leak was *no gaskets* between manifold and the rubber carb mountings.

After fixing this, getting the two carbs balanced was a cinch. Then I used a Colortune to get the mixture correct. The engine would idle down to 500rpm if I wanted to but is set at about 750rpm. I had to get an electric rev counter as the cable one is useless at such low revs and it also means you can watch it from the engine bay.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 18-08-07
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

FIAT Croma Prestigio 2.4

Re: Carb synchroniser

Is it possible the spark is at the wrong time, due to distributor cap tracking inside. Usually this would mean 2 cylinders not firing. If a brown cap you should see the black tracks and it is possible to scrape them off to get it going. (Done it by roadside). More likely air leak, we used to find these by wiping grease around suspect places. Not much help here, a lot easier with hands on.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 21-08-07
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 24v

'Tracking won't affect timing, just spark strength. If you've a deposit causing tracking you're lucky, it's usually a hairline crack or some kind of porosity and means a new cap for sure.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 21-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

68 Spider, XJR-S, Subaru

It can be useful to watch the engine running in complete darkness. It is quite surprising how ignition problems show up like a set of Christmas tree lights.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 21-08-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Hers Indoors

Made the odd leather washer up, last longer than felt ones, soaked in grease/ hypoid oil, helps with spindle bush wear for a time.:
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 21-08-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Hers Indoors

I seem to have a vague memory, or dreamt it maybe, that certain compound carburettors had nylon bushings, which when worn you could pop out, and stick a replacement in Could of been a dream I suppose?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
cylinder, fire

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2011 Alfa Romeo...
alfa romeo 159 jtdm