What have you done with your Classic Alfa today? - Page 62 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 694Likes

AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

71 1750 Spider

Took a pic of new stance....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0672.jpg (130.3 KB, 12 views)
swallow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

71 1750 Spider

Trial fitting the carpet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.jpg (166.0 KB, 13 views)

County: Cork
Garage

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Not so much as what I did to the S2, more what the S2 did for me. At the weekend the screen wash pump started leaking on the 147 we have, clearly not good this time of year. I discovered the leak late on the Sunday afternoon, after several attempts to fix it I thought "I wonder?" and I was right the washer pump from the S2 fitted, didnt leak and works perfectly! The only downside there is no rear screen wash, so what it'll do for now.
Green Berlina and roony like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Washed the Junior, completed putting the new seats in, filled her with petrol ready for the trip down to Devon (from Manchester).
Green Berlina likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Thought I had better see if it starts as its been sat under its cover in the cold and rain for much too long .... it did after three goes, who says old Alfa's are unreliable, while it was warming I had a quick check round and could hear the exhaust blowing just before the tail pipe (where i welded it back together) so some gungum soon sorted that out, that probably explains why its being getting gassy in the cockpit - hopefully ready for a blast out on 2nd Jan with the Bristol section.
Green Berlina and roony like this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
Thought I had better see if it starts as its been sat under its cover in the cold and rain for much too long .... it did after three goes, who says old Alfa's are unreliable, while it was warming I had a quick check round and could hear the exhaust blowing just before the tail pipe (where i welded it back together) so some gungum soon sorted that out, that probably explains why its being getting gassy in the cockpit - hopefully ready for a blast out on 2nd Jan with the Bristol section.
With a few days off work it's given me the opportunity to fit a new soft top on my S2 spider, as expected there are plenty of broken studs but Riv nuts sorted out problem, assembling the soft top to the rear of the body is more fiddly than I expected but I hope to complete that task tomorrow then fit the soft top to the header rail
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
With a few days off work it's given me the opportunity to fit a new soft top on my S2 spider, as expected there are plenty of broken studs but Riv nuts sorted out problem, assembling the soft top to the rear of the body is more fiddly than I expected but I hope to complete that task tomorrow then fit the soft top to the header rail
AO Member

Member car:

71 1750 Spider

Out of interest do you have a link for the Riv nuts? My hood is stripped off the car and I have approx 5 studs that have sheered due to age/rust Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogeru7 View Post
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roony View Post
Out of interest do you have a link for the Riv nuts? My hood is stripped off the car and I have approx 5 studs that have sheered due to age/rust Thanks...
I bought them on ebay just type in riv nuts and you will find over 2000 listings, go for the serrated type as they lock into the bodywork better

County: Cork
Garage
Voting now open for the previous entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...tion-vote.html (December 2016 AO Detailing Competition Vote)

Vote for whoever you think deserves to win

And January Detailing competition now open for entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car

Check out the updated rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
AO Member

Member car:

71 1750 Spider

Thanks...

Quote:
I bought them on ebay just type in riv nuts and you will find over 2000 listings, go for the serrated type as they lock into the bodywork better
AO Member

Spent 5 1/2 hours today fitting the header rail rubber seal to the S2 spider soft top, there's no easy way just lots of tugging and aching joints afterwards
AO Member

Member car:

71 1750 Spider

You must now be qualified to fit mine..

Quote:
Spent 5 1/2 hours today fitting the header rail rubber seal to the S2 spider soft top, there's no easy way just lots of tugging and aching joints afterwards
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roony View Post
You must now be qualified to fit mine..
No qualifications required just loads of effort once fitted to the extruded channel it feels so worthwhile much better than just glueing the seal to the soft top
AO Silver Member

County: Nordrhein-Westfalen

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

although last year I completely dis-assembled the wiper motor and replaced all the hardened grease and cleaned the commutator/brushes etc, when I put it back it was only a little faster.
Found a new original old stock wiper motor in UK for 50 quid still in alfa box. Quickly opened it up to check grease was good (it was), and fitted it.....now I have decent wipers on the S4.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Spider 105,

I did this a few months ago....
AO Silver Member

Rebuilt the mainshaft and layshaft, fitted back in the half box and got all the tolerances set up perfectly, it all spins quietly and smoothly, now to complete the rebuild and put it back. Then move on to the replacement LSD back axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170114_130234_resized.jpg (81.8 KB, 10 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

replaced p/s belt and alt. belt on the S4.
Not quite the 10 minute job it sounds like in the manual ("loosen 3 bolts, push power steering pump down, remove belt; loosen alt adjuster, remove belt......replace in the reverse order")

took maybe hour and half because with the belts free there were a few things to clean up down there.

belts were actually OK, just a little fraying on the edges, but heck I feel better anyway and found the big lower bolt on the alt was nearly falling off!.......so that made it worth the effort
(Post Link) post #1545 of 1687 Old 18-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
although last year I completely dis-assembled the wiper motor and replaced all the hardened grease and cleaned the commutator/brushes etc, when I put it back it was only a little faster.
Found a new original old stock wiper motor in UK for 50 quid still in alfa box. Quickly opened it up to check grease was good (it was), and fitted it.....now I have decent wipers on the S4.

How easy to do? My wipers are terrible but my screen is coated with several hydrophobic layers so not a huge issue.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
How easy to do? My wipers are terrible but my screen is coated with several hydrophobic layers so not a huge issue.
the actual work is easy, just takes a bit of time if you are doing things carefully and want to clean up around there at the same time.

1. Run wipers to let them park correctly, then remove wiper arms and their rubber grommets (I mark the arm position on the screen with a strip of masking tape, so I know it goes back roughly the same)
2. Remove chrome strip below w/screen (2 screws on end and pull up out of the clips)
3. Loosen cowl panel assembly (4 screws in the water channel under the rubberseal when you lift the hood), carefully slide it out of the clips that are held under the screen rubber and flip the whole cowl over and rest it on a thick blanket laid on the engine.
4. remember position of linkage arm on wiper (take a photo) then remove bolt on top of wiper motor to linkage and then the 3 bolts securing to body - wiper falls off.
5. loosen clip securing the rad overflow bottle to allow bottle to move down a little, then undo electric connector plug for wiper motor and manoeuvre it up thru the specially shaped squarish hole in cowl.
remove the wiper.
done
Squadrone Rosso and roony like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
At last - managed to get out for a run in the relative dry, kept the top up for a change and had forgotten how civilised a place the Spider is, had a great run cross country, three goes to start, not bad considering its not been used for a least a month and has been sitting sulking under its cover - thankfully no seized brakes, really must try harder...
Top Down, swallow and roony like this.
AO Member

Garage
Moved it to my parents whilst the barn gets a new roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8592.jpg (229.0 KB, 9 views)
Green Berlina and swallow like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandthemagi View Post
Moved it to my parents whilst the barn gets a new roof.
Started recovering my S2 spider seats, the foam needed replacing and the frames had minor surface rust in places, the first seat base is finished and looks a treat.
AO Silver Member

Made a silly mistake. Heating the inner race of one of the gearbox bearings, to drop down the layshaft, using a gas torch I used too much heat and 'blued' it. Thats another 40 quid for a replacement.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
alfa , classic , today

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page