GTV6 - Instrument Bulbs. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
  Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

GTV6 - Instrument Bulbs.

Does anyone know the specs of these bulbs ?

I believe they are type 194 ( Capless Wedge ) but within this range you can get 3, 4 and 5 Watt versions.

Reason I ask is that driving home last night I noticed that the Main Beam Indicator wasn't working. I know this sounds silly but this really annoyed me ! ( Get a life Nige, OR How else do I know if the Main Beams are on.... )

Took the Instruments out and all that was required was a contact bend and clean up but I would like to have a couple of spares to hand.

So, anyone know the full specs/type numbers ?




Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - Evening Meet - Thursday 31st July - Classic Car Meet, Nr Lincoln.
Look Here ! - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/linco...rs-no-5-a.html


email: nige005@alfaowner.co.uk

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Looks like I'll have to dig out the Deerstalker again..... !
Reply With Quote
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

I found they are all full of bad contacts, my indicators kept not showing on the dash, a quick fiddle and then she worked again. With regards the bulbs they look like the ones I use on my 156 speedo has. These bulbs can come out of the holder and be swapped (alfa only sell with the holder), maybe might be possbile to make some bulbs up from these?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
I found they are all full of bad contacts, my indicators kept not showing on the dash, a quick fiddle and then she worked again. With regards the bulbs they look like the ones I use on my 156 speedo has. These bulbs can come out of the holder and be swapped (alfa only sell with the holder), maybe might be possbile to make some bulbs up from these?
Hi Peter, long time no see.

The Bulbs are available, I believe, from somewhere as mundane as Halfords. Snag is, assuming I'm looking at the correct physical size Bulb, they come in 3, 4 & 5 Watt versions. ( Wish I'd measured the Bulb when I had it out. ) I know it's not critical but I don't want to end up with different brightness levels if I ever have to replace any.

No rush, I don't need any right now, as you say, the problem turned out to be poor contacts, but I would like to have a couple of spares in hand, I hate little things like this not working, for some reason they get to me !

How's your '6 ? Are you going to make MITCAR on Sunday ?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Hi Peter, long time no see.

The Bulbs are available, I believe, from somewhere as mundane as Halfords. Snag is, assuming I'm looking at the correct physical size Bulb, they come in 3, 4 & 5 Watt versions. ( Wish I'd measured the Bulb when I had it out. ) I know it's not critical but I don't want to end up with different brightness levels if I ever have to replace any.

No rush, I don't need any right now, as you say, the problem turned out to be poor contacts, but I would like to have a couple of spares in hand, I hate little things like this not working, for some reason they get to me !

How's your '6 ? Are you going to make MITCAR on Sunday ?
Natashia is fine, thinking one day of doing a full refurb like you have but that will be in the future one day... need to wire in my handsfree kit just like my 156 but it looks weird on an older car!

Anyway I looked at MITCAR but being near the Hope Valley (I work at the cement works there sometimes), its quite a trip in my 156 and in the GTV6 its a marathon! Its about 3 hours in the 156 so more like 4 odd in the GTV6. If it had been at silverstone or something I'd have gone for it haha. Still have fun mate, you never know I might change my mind yet!


Location: Gravesend, Kent
Reply With Quote
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Natashia is fine, thinking one day of doing a full refurb like you have but that will be in the future one day... need to wire in my handsfree kit just like my 156 but it looks weird on an older car!

Anyway I looked at MITCAR but being near the Hope Valley (I work at the cement works there sometimes), its quite a trip in my 156 and in the GTV6 its a marathon! Its about 3 hours in the 156 so more like 4 odd in the GTV6. If it had been at silverstone or something I'd have gone for it haha. Still have fun mate, you never know I might change my mind yet!
Yep, it's a long haul for you in either car. Only about a 200 mile round trip for me so I intend taking the '6. I'm enjoying using it, at last, it's a lot of fun. Did a 100 mile trip around the back roads of the Lincolnshire Wolds last Tuesday looking at Pubs for possible Meets, it was great ! I could have used it a little more than I have but until I had the Cambelt/Tensioner job done I was a little twitchy. Now it's done - vroom, vroom !

For the first time I accurately measured the MPG today and find I'm getting about 28, very pleased with that as I'm not usually in " ECO " Mode although I don't thrash around too much in it.

Maybe you'll make it yet. If you do you're sure to come across the '6 and my GSM number will be displayed in the car as I'm trying to shift some of the fifty odd Alfa Romeo " Script " Decals I still have left ! If so give me a ring so we can meet up.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Yep, it's a long haul for you in either car. Only about a 200 mile round trip for me so I intend taking the '6. I'm enjoying using it, at last, it's a lot of fun. Did a 100 mile trip around the back roads of the Lincolnshire Wolds last Tuesday looking at Pubs for possible Meets, it was great ! I could have used it a little more than I have but until I had the Cambelt/Tensioner job done I was a little twitchy. Now it's done - vroom, vroom !

For the first time I accurately measured the MPG today and find I'm getting about 28, very pleased with that as I'm not usually in " ECO " Mode although I don't thrash around too much in it.

Maybe you'll make it yet. If you do you're sure to come across the '6 and my GSM number will be displayed in the car as I'm trying to shift some of the fifty odd Alfa Romeo " Script " Decals I still have left ! If so give me a ring so we can meet up.
Its about 370 miles round trip for me! Not sure the old girl could cope with that lol, its not been rebuilt like yours haha. I think mines about 21 mpg, but I always run here a bit rich anyway (sod the environment).
Reply With Quote
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Oh btw Nige, did you ever get any pics of where the front sunroof water drains leave the car, I still have no idea as they never drain worryingly on mine lol.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
GTV116's Avatar
Status: particular about the point it made
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315

Member car:

alfasud

Nige

I went into Halfords today on an unrelated (and unsatisfactory as it turned out) quest, but while I was there ... their quick reference bulb guide suggests either a 3W of the larger capless bulb, or 1.2W small for panel bulbs for the Alfetta GTV range.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Oh btw Nige, did you ever get any pics of where the front sunroof water drains leave the car, I still have no idea as they never drain worryingly on mine lol.

Sure did, Post # 307 in the Link. They comedown behind the Front wheels after leaving both sides of the Sunroof and coming down the inside of the " A " Pillars. Not the easiest job to replace them but an essential job non the less. I'm not happy with the way I've refixed the " A " Pillar trims, just glued them on as I didn't want to risk using Self Tappers going through me Tubes again ! I'm going to have another look at these, there has to be a better way than what I've done without running the risk of creating a paddling pool again.

I love the way that raw petrol just drips out of the exhaust on an extended Idle, we both are really " green ! "

EDIT.

It's possible that the bottom end of your tubes will stop inside the Front Wing and drain through any hole in the bottom of the Wing. I extended mine as you can see, no more build up of water inside the bodywork ! The whole rain draining systems on these cars is very badly designed, think they must have handed this job to the Office Cat.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-c...begins-13.html (The GTV6 Refurb Begins.....)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by GTV116 View Post
Nige

I went into Halfords today on an unrelated (and unsatisfactory as it turned out) quest, but while I was there ... their quick reference bulb guide suggests either a 3W of the larger capless bulb, or 1.2W small for panel bulbs for the Alfetta GTV range.
That's great James, thanks for that. I'll have to trawl through the major roadworks we have on the go here and have a look.

Their on line Bulb Finder told me that I don't have any Instrument Lights at all, as did a few other sites !!! From memory all the Bulbs in the Panel seem to be the same, IIRC, so still scope for confusion, my usual state.

Most of my rare visits to Halfords turn out to very unsatisfactory too......

EDIT.

Are you going to make it to MITCAR this Sunday ?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
dcystar147's Avatar
Status: Old cars are best!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 399
Images: 7

Member car:

1981 Giulietta 1.8

Hi Nige
in an effort to get my speedo working, I had 3 dashes in bits. Have quite a lot of these bulbs kicking about. I take a pic of one and post here. Let me know if they are the correct ones.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by dcystar147 View Post
Hi Nige
in an effort to get my speedo working, I had 3 dashes in bits. Have quite a lot of these bulbs kicking about. I take a pic of one and post here. Let me know if they are the correct ones.
Thanks David, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
GTV116's Avatar
Status: particular about the point it made
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315

Member car:

alfasud

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
EDIT.

Are you going to make it to MITCAR this Sunday ?
Sadly not, we're leaving for the continent on the same day (poor diary planning on my part). I went to Halfords for headlamp converters but, as with grain, they seem to be in short supply this year. Bought the final set from somewhere else.

The weather looks pretty decent for the Sunday in Derbyshire, and there'll be lots of 'suds so it should be a great day. I'll raise a glass of vin rouge from across the channel.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-10
dcystar147's Avatar
Status: Old cars are best!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 399
Images: 7

Member car:

1981 Giulietta 1.8

Here's the pics of the bulb and its holder.
Markings are OS 12/1.2.
It's the same bulbs for the warning lights as the illumination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0237.jpg (18.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0238.jpg (10.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0239.jpg (31.3 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Sure did, Post # 307 in the Link. They comedown behind the Front wheels after leaving both sides of the Sunroof and coming down the inside of the " A " Pillars. Not the easiest job to replace them but an essential job non the less. I'm not happy with the way I've refixed the " A " Pillar trims, just glued them on as I didn't want to risk using Self Tappers going through me Tubes again ! I'm going to have another look at these, there has to be a better way than what I've done without running the risk of creating a paddling pool again.

I love the way that raw petrol just drips out of the exhaust on an extended Idle, we both are really " green ! "

EDIT.

It's possible that the bottom end of your tubes will stop inside the Front Wing and drain through any hole in the bottom of the Wing. I extended mine as you can see, no more build up of water inside the bodywork ! The whole rain draining systems on these cars is very badly designed, think they must have handed this job to the Office Cat.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-c...begins-13.html (The GTV6 Refurb Begins.....)
Oh btw sorry for hijacking the bulb thread lol!!!

Thanks for that, I think I missed those pics from when you took them once before. My wheel arches are a bit of a mess, all full of waxoyl and seal, I don't remember seeing a drain pipe. I have taken the A pillar trim off before and repaired it as it was rather tatty. I am thinking of making up a new piece of trim (as its warped) for this using wood, some sponge and some black vinyl i got off the internet. I know you never removed the roof liner (I think I have some rust under mine), so how did you connect the old pipe at the top of the A pillar to the new pipe? A little metal tube and some small jubillee clips? I might work on this later this weekend as its awlfal if we have a sudden downpoor!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by GTV116 View Post
Sadly not, we're leaving for the continent on the same day (poor diary planning on my part). I went to Halfords for headlamp converters but, as with grain, they seem to be in short supply this year. Bought the final set from somewhere else.

The weather looks pretty decent for the Sunday in Derbyshire, and there'll be lots of 'suds so it should be a great day. I'll raise a glass of vin rouge from across the channel.
That's a shame but enjoy your hols, sounds good !

Last edited by Nige005; 06-08-10 at 09:27.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by dcystar147 View Post
Here's the pics of the bulb and its holder.
Markings are OS 12/1.2.
It's the same bulbs for the warning lights as the illumination.
They're the ones David, thanks for that. As they are all the same then I'm guessing that they are all 3 Watt, I'll see if I can pick some up. Don't need any right now, possibly never will, but I hate anything like this not working so I'll get a couple in for spares.

I picked up about two dozen " old type " bulbs of various sorts from a friend who was having a clear out so these will complete the collection !

Last edited by Nige005; 06-08-10 at 09:27.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Oh btw sorry for hijacking the bulb thread lol!!!

Thanks for that, I think I missed those pics from when you took them once before. My wheel arches are a bit of a mess, all full of waxoyl and seal, I don't remember seeing a drain pipe. I have taken the A pillar trim off before and repaired it as it was rather tatty. I am thinking of making up a new piece of trim (as its warped) for this using wood, some sponge and some black vinyl i got off the internet. I know you never removed the roof liner (I think I have some rust under mine), so how did you connect the old pipe at the top of the A pillar to the new pipe? A little metal tube and some small jubillee clips? I might work on this later this weekend as its awlfal if we have a sudden downpoor!
It's almost certain that your Drain Tubes will " terminate " inside the Front Wings, mine did. I DID have to pull back the Roof Lining, which of course meant that the Windscreen had to come out. This was no problem as it was out for the repair to the Scuttles anyway. It was remarkable easy to remove and refit, went much better than I expected. If you do take the Windscreen out use some Windscreen Sealant when refitting. Originally this wasn't used but I found that I had a leak when I was out in heavy rain so I run some Sealant around under the Seal and touch wood......... A messy job, went through Reams of wipes to clean off the excess. Probably much easier if you use the Sealant on the refit rather than afterwards, wish I had.

The pipe I used was a little smaller than the original and was a struggle to fit over the Drain Pipe but I still used Jubilee Clips to secure it. The old tubes were used as a pull through for the new ones, it wasn't an easy job and perseverance and lots of bad language was required !

Whilst I had the roof lining pulled back I also fitted a new Aerial as the old one was really showing it's age. This ten minute job took two hours ! Naturally enough the lead from this was too short and finished in the middle of the " A " Pillar, where of course it was impossible to use a ready made up extension lead as it was too bulky to allow the Trim to be refitted. Was a Soldering Iron job but it would have been better, if possible, to source an Aerial with a longer Lead in the first place.

I'll be interested in how you get on with the Trim. Mine are in pretty good condition but I was frightened to use the Self Tappers to refit them, didn't want to risk going through the new tubes so I glued them, tbh not very satisfactory at all and I have to revisit these and try again. Thoughts have ranged from very short Self Tappers that JUST go through the Trim and the Pillar to using Plastic Trim Screws or Plastic Panel Rivets, I'm still mulling this over. If you come up with a solution don't keep it to yourself !
Reply With Quote
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
GTV116's Avatar
Status: particular about the point it made
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315

Member car:

alfasud

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Originally Posted by dcystar147

Here's the pics of the bulb and its holder.
Markings are OS 12/1.2.
It's the same bulbs for the warning lights as the illumination.
They're the ones David, thanks for that. As they are all the same then I'm guessing that they are all 3 Watt, I'll see if I can pick some up. Don't need any right now, possibly never will, but I hate anything like this not working so I'll get a couple in for spares.

I picked up about two dozen " old type " bulbs of various sorts from a friend who was having a clear out so these will complete the collection !
Are these the right bulbs? '286' 12V, 1.2W.

The 3W bulbs listed by Halfords are 504 which are bigger in size as well as output.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by GTV116 View Post
Are these the right bulbs? '286' 12V, 1.2W.

The 3W bulbs listed by Halfords are 504 which are bigger in size as well as output.
Very difficult to tell which one is right James. They are the correct type but it's all down to the physical size and Wattage. I'm pretty sure it will be one of these and I'm guessing the 3 Watt one but........................

Perhaps the Wattage is determined by physical size alone ? It's certainly not marked on the Bulb in any way.

Suppose the only way to be sure is to take one out and go and do a comparison, don't really want to remove the Instrument Panel right now, always worry about breaking something in the process !
Reply With Quote
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
It's almost certain that your Drain Tubes will " terminate " inside the Front Wings, mine did. I DID have to pull back the Roof Lining, which of course meant that the Windscreen had to come out. This was no problem as it was out for the repair to the Scuttles anyway. It was remarkable easy to remove and refit, went much better than I expected. If you do take the Windscreen out use some Windscreen Sealant when refitting. Originally this wasn't used but I found that I had a leak when I was out in heavy rain so I run some Sealant around under the Seal and touch wood......... A messy job, went through Reams of wipes to clean off the excess. Probably much easier if you use the Sealant on the refit rather than afterwards, wish I had.

The pipe I used was a little smaller than the original and was a struggle to fit over the Drain Pipe but I still used Jubilee Clips to secure it. The old tubes were used as a pull through for the new ones, it wasn't an easy job and perseverance and lots of bad language was required !

Whilst I had the roof lining pulled back I also fitted a new Aerial as the old one was really showing it's age. This ten minute job took two hours ! Naturally enough the lead from this was too short and finished in the middle of the " A " Pillar, where of course it was impossible to use a ready made up extension lead as it was too bulky to allow the Trim to be refitted. Was a Soldering Iron job but it would have been better, if possible, to source an Aerial with a longer Lead in the first place.

I'll be interested in how you get on with the Trim. Mine are in pretty good condition but I was frightened to use the Self Tappers to refit them, didn't want to risk going through the new tubes so I glued them, tbh not very satisfactory at all and I have to revisit these and try again. Thoughts have ranged from very short Self Tappers that JUST go through the Trim and the Pillar to using Plastic Trim Screws or Plastic Panel Rivets, I'm still mulling this over. If you come up with a solution don't keep it to yourself !
Hey Nige, again I am sorry for messing up the bulb topic!

Wow never relised about the headliniing....I was looking at taking it partly down as the sunroof is rusty inside and needs some work . I'd also like to replace my old aerial with a new one and do the pipes while there... so maybe taking the screen out is the way to go. Anyway weirdly... I am now seriously thinking of coming up to MITCAR even though it might kill my GTV6 lol. So I might meet up with you there and we can have a chat about it all. I'll decide later today one way or the other.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Hey Nige, again I am sorry for messing up the bulb topic!

Wow never relised about the headliniing....I was looking at taking it partly down as the sunroof is rusty inside and needs some work . I'd also like to replace my old aerial with a new one and do the pipes while there... so maybe taking the screen out is the way to go. Anyway weirdly... I am now seriously thinking of coming up to MITCAR even though it might kill my GTV6 lol. So I might meet up with you there and we can have a chat about it all. I'll decide later today one way or the other.

Cheers
No problem with the Thread, we are still talking Alfetta !

Only removed the Roof Lining enough to get at the Drain Tubes and the Aerial, and that frightened me enough, I was very relieved to see it all go back more or less correctly just before the Windscreen went back in. Even with the Lining pulled back ( Screen out obviously ) it's awkward to get at the Drain Tubes in the roof, especially if the new tube is a tight fit, not much space to twist things around up there. As I said before it's not the easiest job, although not technically much of a problem everything is hole in the corner and awkward, buy a big tin of patience before starting ! Of course yours may just be blocked but I don't think so, I reckon this was a design flaw and the Tubes were punctured when the cars were built. With new Tubes I reckon that the Self Tappers sealed in the tube as it's very flexible and pliable, as the Tube hardens with age...... Just remove the Trim and the Seals so you can see the Plastic Drain Tube running down inside the Pillar and then pour some water into the Sunroof, even Blind Pugh would have seen the water pouring out of three holes in the Tubes each side. Surprise surprise the holes in the Tube match up to the holes where the Trim Retaining Self Tappers go...........

Nice if you can make it to MITCAR although I know it's a long run for you. I'll PM my GSM in a bit so if you do make it we don't miss each other.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
159 and gtv6's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 616
Images: 1

Member car:

159 TI & 1982 GTV6

Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
No problem with the Thread, we are still talking Alfetta !

Only removed the Roof Lining enough to get at the Drain Tubes and the Aerial, and that frightened me enough, I was very relieved to see it all go back more or less correctly just before the Windscreen went back in. Even with the Lining pulled back ( Screen out obviously ) it's awkward to get at the Drain Tubes in the roof, especially if the new tube is a tight fit, not much space to twist things around up there. As I said before it's not the easiest job, although not technically much of a problem everything is hole in the corner and awkward, buy a big tin of patience before starting ! Of course yours may just be blocked but I don't think so, I reckon this was a design flaw and the Tubes were punctured when the cars were built. With new Tubes I reckon that the Self Tappers sealed in the tube as it's very flexible and pliable, as the Tube hardens with age...... Just remove the Trim and the Seals so you can see the Plastic Drain Tube running down inside the Pillar and then pour some water into the Sunroof, even Blind Pugh would have seen the water pouring out of three holes in the Tubes each side. Surprise surprise the holes in the Tube match up to the holes where the Trim Retaining Self Tappers go...........

Nice if you can make it to MITCAR although I know it's a long run for you. I'll PM my GSM in a bit so if you do make it we don't miss each other.
Problem with my car is the roof lining must hide some rust... as it ends up in the gutter of the sunroof and then down the drain holes blocking the newly cleaned holes! I really want to take the roof lining pretty much down to work on it... maybe I will just not yet!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-10
Nige005's Avatar
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Representative
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 15,467
Images: 22

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6 & CelicaVVTi

Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Problem with my car is the roof lining must hide some rust... as it ends up in the gutter of the sunroof and then down the drain holes blocking the newly cleaned holes! I really want to take the roof lining pretty much down to work on it... maybe I will just not yet!
If that's the case then it will have to be done although I don't envy you this job, either a massive struggle or a massive bill to get someone to do it. I just wouldn't feel confident enough to even contemplate this sort of job, have enough bother sewing a button on never mind the complexities of a Fabric Roof Liner.

If you get to this point a new Roof Liner would be very nice indeed although where you could get one I really don't know. There are firms that will make up and fit a brand new one but the cost...............

It does seem odd that you have rust in there, all I can say is what bit of the inside of the roof I saw on mine was pretty much as it was when new, no nasties at all, not even around the hole for the Aerial.

Wonder if the rust could be tracking from somewhere else, perhaps the Sun Roof itself ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > The Classic Alfa Romeos

Tags
bulbs, gtv6, instrument

Thread Tools


Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo GT...
2004 alfa romeo 156...
Alfa Romeo Brera...
Alfa Romeo 159...
61 alfa romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 159

View paul.o's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds
   

Gallery

Social Groups
   

Members
   


Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87