Giulia in SA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
South Africa All events and potential meets in South Africa

74Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 117 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
bnr
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GMA

Giulia in SA

Hi guys

So I was looking at the Giulia subforum and there seems to be quite a lot of info about the car for people in the UK and EU - specifically about pricing and release dates.

Does anyone have any inside info about the car in SA? The alfa website is useless, as expected, and i won't bother asking the dealers - they hardly know anything about the cars that are already available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Gauteng
All I know is that they were discussing the Giulia QV last weekend on 702 and they claim it will cost around 1.8mil
(Post Link) post #3 of 117 Old 03-07-16 Thread Starter
bnr
AO Member

Member car:

GMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916it View Post
All I know is that they were discussing the Giulia QV last weekend on 702 and they claim it will cost around 1.8mil
That's an insane price. Let's hope they're wrong.

AO Member

Garage
One article I read (it might be a bit dated now), said it might not come here. And if it does, it would probably only be the top of the range QV, no 2.0l. Sad news for those of us not swimming in $$$
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
It's coming. And in various engine choices including the diesels. It will be here q1 or q2 next year and will cost around R1.8m. I blame Dawid Van Rooyen and Brexit combined with Zupta...
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lusso View Post
It's coming. And in various engine choices including the diesels. It will be here q1 or q2 next year and will cost around R1.8m. I blame Dawid Van Rooyen and Brexit combined with Zupta...
It's starting at R1.8mil? Can't justify that seriously! There goes that idea
AO Silver Member

It definitely wouldn't be starting at R1.8 million. They'd sell no cars at that price. If that were the price they'd need to charge to make money on a base-model Giulia, they simply wouldn't bring it to SA.

The R1.8 million is probably a reference to a possible price for the Quadrifoglio. If correct, the Guilia Q will not make any significant sales impact in SA either, though they would sell a few to brand enthusiasts.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
The R1.8 million is probably a reference to a possible price for the Quadrifoglio.
Yeah that's what I thought.
AO Member

Garage
So its been a while and see not much has been available regarding the Giulia coming to SA.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio here in January '17! - CARmag.co.za

Pricing is as follows:
R 1 600 000 Giulia Race Edition
R 1 400 000 Giulia Launch Edition

Start pulling out the balaklava's and go rob some banks... Will have to keep my GQV for the next few years now.
Alfa.gtv6.zn likes this.
AO Member

Did some enquiries at the dealership yesterday: You can now order your regular Giulia at your nearest dealership!

Only estimated pricing at this stage and 3 trim levels:
1) 2.0l petrol - 147kW
Base trim = R589 900
Super = R659 900
Super luxury = R709 900

Last edited by docafrica; 06-12-16 at 12:17.
(Post Link) post #11 of 117 Old 04-12-16 Thread Starter
bnr
AO Member

Member car:

GMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by docafrica View Post
Did some enquiries at the dealership yesterday: You can now order your regular Giulia at your nearest dealership!

Only estimated pricing at this stage and 3 trim levels:
1) 2.0l petrol - 147kW
Base trim = R589 900
Super = R659 900
Super luxury (auto) = R709 900
How is this car expected to challenge the c-class and 3 series with prices like that? 590k for a base trim?
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Can't really say much without knowing what's included with "Base Trim"
AO Member

The Base Trim actually includes quite alot of options especially ito safety.

I've done some calculations and for a similarly specced BMW, Merc or Audi than the Alfa Super spec I would go for, you will pay around R50K to R70 more for the Alfa..

I would much rather buy the Alfa!

The dealership sent me an electronic copy of the brochure. If anyone is interested you can PM me.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I thought that may be the case...those Germans love their options lists.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
These days the German big three sell alot of units on 'Guaranteed Future Value' type financing options. The car's are ordered already specced (normally pretty much base spec) and sold as such. If you look at alot of the new 1 series out there they're all driving around with the same wheel options as an example. Alot of people buy on the 'what you pay every month' figure rather than the actual unit price of the vehicle.
AO Member

Member car:

Kia Sportage R

The RHD Veloce model will be released in the UK from January, this is the 280HP ( approx. 206 kw )
2 - litre engine that fits in between the normal 147kw 2 litre and the QV. It's four wheel drive Q4 . This will be the the more "affordable" performance model- hopefully around 750 - 800k if it comes here

There are rumours of a 2 litre 350BHP version for the US and apparently a station wagon version has been "approved" for Europe.

The 8 speed automatic version, which we will be getting, is apparently much better than the manual version.

I'm interested to see what maintenance plan/ service plan/ warranty Alfa SA will offer with these cars.
AO Member

A base model BMW 320i (130kW) costs R509k.
A base model Merc C200 (135kW) costs R496k
A base model Merc C250 (155kW) costs R570k
A base model Audi A4 2.0 TFSi (140kW) costs R536k

I am pretty sure the base Giulia will be better specced than most of the above. (The Mercs and Audi are automatic however)
AO Silver Member

Gifs I agree with you but the nice thing for the Germans is they have more entry level models than the ones you've mentioned at lower prices (318, C180, A4 1.4t) which gets people the image they want at a lower price point. I've driven a new 318 and you'd never guess it was a 1.5l 3-cylinder just by driving it. I'd buy a lower price point Guilia say a 1750 or 1.4 MultiAir if it was on offer.

I don't think Alfa can afford to ignore the entry level junior exec saloon segment. Of course everyone wants the 'meneer' versions but the reality is they'll settle for an entry level model. a de-badged 318 with the M Sport pack looks just as good 335 or a 340 and the average pleb on the street can't tell the difference.

Personally I think there needs to be a clearly defined jump up from a Fiat to an Alfa to a Maserati. As an example you can go from a VW to an Audi to a Porsche and still stay within the VAG portfolio. I'm happy to stay within the FCA portfolio but they need to have products which fit my needs AND my pocket. At the moment that's not really the case.

I can't justify spending half a million rand on a car. It just seems ludicrous. I like cars and Alfas but I think waaaay too many South Africans get themselves into stupid amounts of dept just to drive a fancy car.
El 4 Romeo, richardk12 and bnr like this.

Last edited by alastpa; 06-12-16 at 05:12.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastpa View Post
Gifs I agree with you but the nice thing for the Germans is they have more entry level models than the ones you've mentioned at lower prices (318, C180, A4 1.4t) which gets people the image they want at a lower price point. I've driven a new 318 and you'd never guess it was a 1.5l 3-cylinder just by driving it. I'd buy a lower price point Guilia say a 1750 or 1.4 MultiAir if it was on offer.

I don't think Alfa can afford to ignore the entry level junior exec saloon segment. Of course everyone wants the 'meneer' versions but the reality is they'll settle for an entry level model. a de-badged 318 with the M Sport pack looks just as good 335 or a 340 and the average pleb on the street can't tell the difference.

Personally I think there needs to be a clearly defined jump up from a Fiat to an Alfa to a Maserati. As an example you can go from a VW to an Audi to a Porsche and still stay within the VAG portfolio. I'm happy to stay within the FCA portfolio but they need to have products which fit my needs AND my pocket. At the moment that's not really the case.

I can't justify spending half a million rand on a car. It just seems ludicrous. I like cars and Alfas but I think waaaay too many South Africans get themselves into stupid amounts of dept just to drive a fancy car.
I think you'd be shocked by how little comes in a properly base spec BMW. In fact I don't even think a dealer would be able to get you a completely base spec car. They tend to order stock with options they think customers will want (and they're normally there or thereabouts with their guesses because yes I want climate control in my BMW). You're then forced to take a car that may have more than what you wanted.

And even so, the 318 in absolute base manual form is R470,000. Not cheap.
AO Silver Member

I do agree with you that they are specced to sell. A friend of mine works at SMG BMW and as an example they normally don't order their demo cars without leather or an auto transmission. What i mean is they don't put alot of the really tasty stuff in or things that might appeal to a slightly different taste. As an example electric seats and a fancy sound system aren't often specced.

Mostly it's a white, silver or black cars with black leather and an auto box. Apparently a premium German sedan is almost unsaleable without an autobox these days.

I really hope they don't do that with the Guilia. I'll have dark metallic blue paintwork, tan leather and wood trim please.
AO Member

Garage
Is there a Ti spec Giulia coming to SA? Also what about the 280HP version.
Have you guys seen those pics on Giulia QV by Chatz? they are here guys...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mito QV,156 GTA

Hey Alastpa are you joining the run Saturday?
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta MA

I do like the new Giulia but like all 4 door large saloons from Alfa it will devalue at an alarming rate so If you get one then you need to keep it for a long time
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling View Post
Hey Alastpa are you joining the run Saturday?
How did I miss that there was a run this weekend I'll have to check with the boss. I'm well known for making plans ontop of plans.
AO Member

Member car:

Kia Sportage R

Veloce / Ti spec Giulia coming to Australia in February, so hopefully we get it here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161122_Alfa-Romeo_Giulia-Veloce_06.jpg (137.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 161122_Alfa-Romeo_Giulia-Veloce_19.jpg (69.3 KB, 39 views)
Ian Lusso and Jchan11hk like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > South Africa

Tags
giulia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page