Mazda and FIAT to build sports car together - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > South Africa

South Africa All events and potential meets in South Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
Perreby

Mazda and FIAT to build sports car together

Mazda Motor Corp. (7261), Japan’s least profitable carmaker, said it’s agreed to jointly develop a sports car with Fiat SpA (F) as part of a broader partnership.

Production of the vehicle may begin in 2015, the Hiroshima, Japan-based carmaker said in a statement today. The vehicle will be produced in Mazda’s factories and sold under the Japanese company’s brand and Fiat’s Alfa Romeo name, according to the statement.

The agreement paves the way for Mazda to expand sales in Europe through Fiat as the Japanese carmaker seeks to end four straight years of losses. For the Italian owner of Chrysler Group LLC, the deal may help the company gain access to Mazda’s engine and lightweight technology.

Mazda has “good products and technology, but didn’t fully monetize the actual value of its technology,” Kohei Takahashi, a Tokyo-based analyst with JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) (JPM), said by phone before the announcement. “For Mazda it’s better to have an alliance with someone.”

Mazda, which produces more than 70 percent of its vehicles in Japan, is counting on fuel-efficient models such as the CX-5 sport-utility vehicle, the first vehicle to be fully fitted with its so-called “SkyActiv” technology to increase sales and profits after the appreciation of the yen eroded the value of exports.

Here is the official press statement:

Mazda Motor Corporation (Mazda) and Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A. (Fiat) have signed a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development and manufacturing of a new roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo marques based on Mazda’s
next-generation MX-5 rear-wheel-drive architecture.

The study calls for both Mazda and Fiat to develop two differentiated, distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific light weight, roadsters featuring rear-wheel drive. The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.

The project assumption is that both vehicles will be manufactured at Mazda’s Hiroshima, Japan, plant with production for Alfa Romeo envisaged starting in 2015.

“Establishing technology and product development alliances is one of Mazda’s corporate objectives and this announcement with Fiat is an important first step in that direction. It is especially exciting to be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo on a
new roadster based on the next-generation MX-5, which is such an iconic vehicle for Mazda and recognized as the best-selling roadster of all time.” said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's

Representative Director and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO.

“This agreement clearly demonstrates our commitment to Alfa Romeo and the determination to grow it into a truly global brand. By partnering with Mazda, we will be co-operating with the recognized leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition. We are appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship.” said Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne.

The Final Agreement is expected to be signed in the second-half of 2012. Mazda and Fiat have also agreed to discuss further opportunities for co-operation in Europe.

Last edited by Perreby; 23-05-12 at 07:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Silver Member

County: North West

Member car:

Gt 1600 Junior

Great news. This isn't the first time they partnered up though. On a much smaller scale they made that alfa 145 automatic with only 35 units and seemed like a minor success. SEE a 2ettotanta kind of roadster in the future.Sweet!
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

ok
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

'73 Alfa 2000 GTV

Freaking awesome
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1750 TI, Abarth SS

If it handles anything like the current MX 5 and is powered by an Alfa engine putting out at least 190kw and is styled like the old spiders it could be absolutely awesome!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-Cagiva-Honda

I like
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
Perreby

Only problem is 2015 is a long long long way away from now...

At least we have the 4C, C-SUV (Kamal), Giulia to look forward to in the meantime..

See the MiTo will not be facelifted.. Its rumoured to be replaced by a brand new small Alfa around 2014

And a few rumours of a sedan and/or sportswagon variant of the G
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1089
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

It's blue and not an Alfa

Let's hope Fiat do the styling and Mazda the mechanicals

Sorry Flashback to the 70s
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Gt 1600 Junior

Mazda and Alfa collaborate | topCar magazine online

I'll **** myself if it looks like this. Not cool.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 and GTV6

Originally Posted by ADF View Post
Let's hope Fiat do the styling and Mazda the mechanicals

Sorry Flashback to the 70s
The infamous Alfa Arna....
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 23-05-12
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24v and GTV 2000

Originally Posted by BussoV6 View Post
The infamous Alfa Arna....
Oh dear, hope they have there thinking caps on this time round.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
Jacques L

Oh dear.....

So..... Alfa, cannot build sports car on their own anymore..... To think they once built Giulietta SV's, Giulia GT's and Alfetta GTV's. And beautifull Spiders. Made in Japan?
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

159 TI V6 - Abarth 500

its official

RWD Alfa Spider to have Mazda genes - IOL Motoring | IOL.co.za
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Gold Member

County: Mpumalanga

Member car:

GQV and GTV

OMG...I foresee a G GTA with a DisiTurbo engine lol.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201

Member car:

156SWv6+156TS+GTVTS

Originally Posted by Guili View Post
OMG...I foresee a G GTA with a DisiTurbo engine lol.
Sorry " The memorandum calls for Fiat and Mazda to develop two distinctly differently styled lightweight rear-wheel drive roadsters on the fifth-generation MX-5 chassis, each with a specific own-brand engine."
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

I did a "search" and the crystal ball said 2.3 disiturbo in G GTA.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
Perreby

MasterP, its been official since yesterday morning when FIAT and Mazda announced it
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201

Member car:

156SWv6+156TS+GTVTS

Originally Posted by Guili View Post
I did a "search" and the crystal ball said 2.3 disiturbo in G GTA.
Aha...
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Aha...
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

147 GTA

Originally Posted by Jacques L View Post
Oh dear.....

So..... Alfa, cannot build sports car on their own anymore..... To think they once built Giulietta SV's, Giulia GT's and Alfetta GTV's. And beautifull Spiders. Made in Japan?
I agree
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
Perreby

Ja mason you never agree with anything Alfa does these days

Best selling roadster ever is the mazda. It will be cheaper to manufacture in Japan than Maserati building it.

The 8C was not exactly the greatest rwd car. But the mazda is well known for its capabilities as rwd car.

If this comes off it will be a master stroke by Fiat. And iTs part of their plan to get back inTo the US.

Don't haTe whaT you haven't tried..
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 24-05-12
AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

147 GTA

Originally Posted by Perreby View Post
Ja mason you never agree with anything Alfa does these days

Don't haTe whaT you haven't tried..
I never said I hate it. I just agreed with Jacques views. Everyone knows the MX-5 is a legend, but I don't see why a brand like Alfa Romeo need any help to build a rear wheel drive car. Its like Alfa can't do anything by themselves any more.

Sergio Marchionne promises a whole lot but what does he actually deliver? I tell you what he delivers, he delivers a positive bottom line. Everything he does is about cutting costs and selling in volumes.

So when I see the partnership with Chrysler, and I see that Chrysler are still building 800HP V8's for Nascar, and roaring around a track. I ask myself, "Why not Alfa?" Why can't Alfa enter into some form of racing? Just look at how the 156 dominated WTCC. Just a few years back. You should know the saying, Win races on Sunday and sell cars on Monday. When last did Alfa come near a race track?

But Chrysler can continue, why? I tell you why, "the bottom line". Nascar is huge business in the states and it builds reputation. The Giulietta could be an awesome car on the track, but why have they not got it racing anywhere?

When I see that they need to form a partnership with another company, all I see is another cost cutting exercise. So they can't take a plunge and go at it themselves, No, they would rather partner with someone and atleast get something out to please the Alfisti.

I think its disappointing. But remember, its only my opinion.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 25-05-12
Perreby

Do you blame Sergio trying to cut or least share costs with another company when Alfa Romeo has been losing at least 50 million dollars a year for the last 5 years?

The cost of developing a new spider was slated at 1.3billion euros to start from scratch.. And would have taken 3 years to develop (before production even starts) That kind of money and time Alfa doesn't have... Mazda's development on the new mx-5 is in advanced stages already. So for minimal money Alfa gets the best rwd platform (for affordable cars) and Mazda gets to offset costs of development by building the spider on Alfa's behalf.

Alfa needs partners if it's going to survive. Plain and simple.

Let's be honest, if Sergio did not take over FIAT, FIAT and Alfa Romeo would be dead right now. And I mean dead as in no more Alfa's EVER!! Now we have Alfas to look forward too.

4C, an SUV, new Giulia, new spider, apparently a MiTo replacement..

He is using yanky profits to help rebuild Alfa.. and with that I have no problem
Europe car sales are dead... He is shifting all attention to the US now. Look at the FIAT 500, started slowly now sales are booming in the US. If Alfa can replicate that once they back in the US they will break even by 2014.

Europe will be dead in terms of car sales for year's to come. He can't fix Alfa in a dead car market.

As a business orientated guy and Alfa mad guy I think what Sergio is busy doing could turn out to be the best thing that ever happend to Alfa Romeo.

Ps as a FIAT shareholder I expect him to cut costs and boost the bottom line.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 25-05-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Gt 1600 Junior

I'm glad he said up yours germans."The currently VW designer Giorgetto Giugiaro spoke with an Italian source. According to this striking designer, Machionne is against selling Alfa Romeo. Taking into account that this would be a German buyer, he can’t imagine ever doing so. Marchionne would rather let the brand go bankrupt before selling (no matter how high the offer would be)"
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 25-05-12
Jacques L

So why can a company like BMW survive without a so called partner? Why do BMW not share platforms? I don't buy your argument Perreby.

If Alfa Romeo is only about providing a big fat profit for greedy shareholders, then I would much prefer that Alfa die with the last little bit of dignity left in it.

Alfa was once a company that produced the most desireable cars on the planet, no matter what the profit. Today....

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > South Africa

Tags
build, car, fiat, mazda, sports

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?