John...Monstro 3.8 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > South Africa

South Africa All events and potential meets in South Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

County: Mpumalanga

Member car:

GQV and GTV

John...Monstro 3.8

I just thought of this as we discussing the GTA...

What was it with this ou...I heard stories here and there...older guys, tell me more please as I feel this is etched in Alfa Romeo South Africa history
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

BUMP???
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

No idea but apparently things went pear shape for the poor man.
Well I might be thinking of someone ells who know.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

I found this.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...aspirated.html (The 3.7L V6 Normally Aspirated)
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

Ja I read that...It would seem that everyone who's everyone in the car circles knows this man and has nothing but bad things to say...I know its been discussed at length here but I'd like to know the history of the Mostro and why when people see that car they have bad things to say about the owner, well previous owner
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

I suppose he did a couple of bad things.
People tend to be unnecessarily harsh on people they do not actually know so I will rather take everything with a pinch of salt.
Some of the story’s I have heard are bad or maybe sad.
Every coin has two sides and the only one I mighty be interested in is his own rendering of what went wrong.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV 16VT 260bhp

I remember something about photoshopped brake callipers, but memory is a bit hazy.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

159 3.2 V6 Ti, GTV 3.2 Q2

Here we go again...

Another thread that's about to be locked...
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

Reading through his 3.7 post it sounds like he wasn’t forth coming with everything and people got upset with things he posted on other forums concerning cars he did or did not have.
Anny way lets not dig to deep maybe we do not really want to know all of it.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

Ok, maybe I must divert my initial request...any news on the car before he sold it to Rudi, as Rudi is now selling it again...tell me more about the car anyone who knows.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

Its a Blue 147 GTA with a lot of trick bits on it.
If you want to use it as a daily drive you will need a normal plenum with management to start of with.
With that fitted and working correctly you will know if the cams are too wild for normal use or not.
The cams in my GTV are supposedly close to 300 degrees and the oe management doesn’t really complain. But the brake booster does not appreciate the lack of vacuum in the system.
Rudi probably wants to sell the car since it keeps on fouling the plugs when extended idling in traffic occurs. All this can be remedied without sacrificing all the performance.

GTV V6 Turbo, Q2, Eibach, Koni, and lots more
916 2.0 Spider what have I done
Triumph Trophy 1200 to counter the fuel prices.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

V6 Sportswagon

I just think he tried to hard and people would not believe that someone would spend that kind of cash on a Alfa.
He was mugged a few years ago and something got damage. He could not control some brain functions or something, had to take meds to countrol his temper or keep him calm every day.
Would snap like that if you said any thing wrong
He is nice guy, pity someone had to go smash his head it.

He did a lot of development with his car for the likes of Dawie.
If I had the cash I would get his car. It just needs to be refined

When live gives you a lemon...........
grab the Tequila and salt
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

Well now we have a better idea of what happened in the mans life.
Unfortunately things like that happens no matter where you live.

Main thing is the car's worth more than what Rudi wants for it considering the amount of work and special bits that went into it.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'73 Alfa 2000 GTV

Much of the bad stuff said about this guy comes from carforums.co.za . Many of the guys who post in the non-motoring side are pseudo-intelligent, hostile types so hills get turned into mountains real quickly.
I was taken in by comments on a number of forums as well, but I don't care what his Internet persona is about any more - his car speaks for itself, he is extremely knowledgeable and whoever has met him in person speaks warmly of him.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

TN, how easy would it be to sort those issues I was thinking for the new owner, a GTA plenum with bmc cda would be better for everyday/weekend use.

Also reliability, if I bought this car I would want maximum power and torque at ultimate reliabilityan I think the exhaust needs a box or two aswell just to calm and tone it down abit. Basically I'd take it from a full on racecar to a mild street car
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

1968 GT TwinSpark Turbo

Full on race cars aren't mild street cars

I think I have to re-think my entire fleet

No cage--Not race car

Street Legal Slicks=Street Car
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

No scotty, this car is undrivable as a daily. A daily is a streetcar no matter who says what.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

Guili I am sure it can be done. Email or phone me. I have to be careful since I am apparently over stepping if I ask a friend to come visit.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GQV and GTV

Originally Posted by turbonutters View Post
Guili I am sure it can be done. Email or phone me. I have to be careful since I am apparently over stepping if I ask a friend to come visit.
What? Did I miss something? I know there is a blue 156 GTA in PTA I think, that's got a 3.7 conversion and its used ewveryday and quite reliable, the owner is also on here but usually posts in the GTA section.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1750 TI, Abarth SS

Originally Posted by turbonutters View Post
Turbo, you take a lot of time to help answer all our questions, and go out of your way to help out any forum member with advice that you base on years of experience. It's very rare that anyone, in any trade, would give away knowledge gained with such painstaking effort.
Sometimes our queries are repetitive, or ignorant, but guys like you, Krasch, Alfatuner and the like always take the time to type long, detailed (often dumned down) posts just to help us out.
I sincerly hope none of the big wigs from the forum have had a go at you for inviting a fellow Alfisti out by inviting them around to your shop to discuss an issue that can be hard and time consuming to sort out over the web. I don't get the feeling that you do it to make money , rather to help a friend or even a stranger.

Ok, rant over.
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 07-03-12
Damien_C

Originally Posted by zeffsofresh View Post
Turbo, you take a lot of time to help answer all our questions, and go out of your way to help out any forum member with advice that you base on years of experience. It's very rare that anyone, in any trade, would give away knowledge gained with such painstaking effort.
Sometimes our queries are repetitive, or ignorant, but guys like you, Krasch, Alfatuner and the like always take the time to type long, detailed (often dumned down) posts just to help us out.
I sincerly hope none of the big wigs from the forum have had a go at you for inviting a fellow Alfisti out by inviting them around to your shop to discuss an issue that can be hard and time consuming to sort out over the web. I don't get the feeling that you do it to make money , rather to help a friend or even a stranger.

Ok, rant over.

Just do what we do in Ireland say nothing and work away as normal
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 08-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'73 Alfa 2000 GTV

turbo, you take a lot of time to help answer all our questions, and go out of your way to help out any forum member with advice that you base on years of experience. It's very rare that anyone, in any trade, would give away knowledge gained with such painstaking effort.
Sometimes our queries are repetitive, or ignorant, but guys like you, krasch, alfatuner and the like always take the time to type long, detailed (often dumned down) posts just to help us out.
I sincerly hope none of the big wigs from the forum have had a go at you for inviting a fellow alfisti out by inviting them around to your shop to discuss an issue that can be hard and time consuming to sort out over the web. I don't get the feeling that you do it to make money , rather to help a friend or even a stranger.

Ok, rant over.
+1
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 08-03-12
AO Silver Member

County: North West

Member car:

147 2.0 TI

Ok, rant over.
+ 1
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 08-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3.0Gtv 155Q4 '76Spider

Originally Posted by Guili View Post
What? Did I miss something? I know there is a blue 156 GTA in PTA I think, that's got a 3.7 conversion and its used ewveryday and quite reliable, the owner is also on here but usually posts in the GTA section.
If you want a 3.7 daily you need std compression(10.5:1) and cams like GTA2/GTA1, if you have std conrods the rev limit shoud be 6000 rpm due to the heavy pistons. If like the blue 147 build by Monstro it have Pauter conrods it can handle more revs but I will limit to 7000 rpm. But the Monstro car's compression will have to come back from 12:1 to 10.5.(lower piston) The std plenum must come back with a Maserati throttle body and the std management must come back with a Unichip.

Look at the Mario Rossi 3,7 dyno results, it is a std 3,7 and I THINK he is using 6000 rpm. Mario's car is a daily and whipped me in a relaxed manner on the track day, but he did have a problem later the day. What I an saying is that even in this form, you can get a problem with the car, like any of us with std cars can get a problem.

Maybe Mario care to give us his opinion about his car.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 08-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo 166 3.0

Thanks.
No need for me to “dumned down” posts for others to understand it comes naturally.

I understand their concern’s since the forums not there to canvas for work.
Some of my posts could have been misinterpreted as canvassing so I apologies for that.
I will definitely keep helping with information when and where I can but if someone really want to contact me they know where to get my contact details.

Maybe I should also clarify that I am not in the motor trade, it’s a hobby for me my actual business is to assist shop owners with the tedious job of complying with all the law’s and bylaws regarding their shops.
IE: Occupancy certificates, Trade licenses and all the other mundane things.

My Mother and Brother (Gerhard) run the shop since my Father passed away.

Last edited by turbonutters; 08-03-12 at 08:26.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > South Africa

Tags
johnmonstro

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

View Tas1308's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?