Here are my requirements:
I travel alot, if not for work all our families live 700km+ away from us, we see them atleast 6 times a year...that's alot!
The G5 GTi is now sitting at 147085km's...its old when standing next to a GQV but this car does the job, it kills off e46 M3's and I recently raced with a 750 Gixxer to 264kmh without any hiccups...I like this car but its getting old now...its got space, does 7.2l/100km@120kph and its services are cheap (last one was R880) I know what I've replaced on this car so I know the history and I know it can go for another 100 000kms but I'm not going to be the one that takes it that far.
I need a car that is quick(fast) or can be made quick has 4 doors and can fit a pram and some baggage in the boot.
I need leather, sunroof(not so much of a need) and xenons and the car must look good, 17's wont do for me, I'll most probably change the wheel in the 1s year of owning the car.
I'm only 26 now so please consider my youth.
I won't pay more than R300 000 for any car as that means I'll pay more for a car than for my house and that's a no no...oh, I'm not moving house either my plan is ot pay this house off by the time I'm 35...that's the kids' Harvard education fund right there
I also WANT, let me repeat, WANT an Alfa Romeo BUSSO...it can be a GTA or a GTV does not matter. The plan is to drive this "OTHER" car everyday(wife and I work at the same place) and on the days that I must be in JHB I'll take this "OTHER" car and wife will just take the GTA or GTV to work, I know its sacrilage but she's been trained don't worry.
The G5 GTi has been playing the role of this "OTHER" car and thus we need another car. I'm not going to waste money by purchasing a cheap car as a runaround as I don't like 99% of cheap cars.
My options that I've pursued thus far:
1) 156/147 GTA and keep the G5 GTi
2) 156 Station wagon for wife and keep the G5 GTi until a GTA or GTV comes up that's right for me.
3) Alfa GQV and a cheap car for my wife as a run around...what cheap runaround?
4) G6 GTi and a cheap car for my wife as a run around...I've tried the VW GTi recipe and its cool and effecient but very bland and boring with a stigma attacehd that becomes true the more you drive the car.
5) BMW X5(2004-2007) and a GTA/GTV to be garaged and driven on occasion that I feel like I feel now...I want to hear a busso idle through an exhaust that's open with no cats...
I don't know what else to do. I'm going to get a GTA or GTV or even both, you never know, but the OTHER car that must be reliable, low km and meet all needs above is an illusion at this stage.