Petrol Prices - Please Read - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Petrol Prices - Please Read

OK this is an excerpt from a chain mail I got today, normally I disregard them stupid things but this is worth the read
> Please see what you think and pass it on if you agree with it.
>
> We are hitting €146.9 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying € 1.50 per litre. So Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
>
> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience
> to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
>
> Please read it and join in!
> Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:
>
> 1. For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.
>
> 2. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers.
>
> It's really simple to do!!
> Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
>
> I am sending this note to a lot of people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
>
> If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 MILLION people will have been contacted!
> If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....
> THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
>
> Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
>
> Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
>
> PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at
> Apple, Topaz, Tesco etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
Nev

It's just a way to manually create vast amounts of SPAM.

Someone else posted it a week-or-so back.

More info here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

Ex GTV Cup/Pork Cayenne

Sorry, but it's a typical spam email. As far as I am aware, Tesco don't own any oil fields.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Van + Her MiTo 155Veloce

This has been on every forum I'm on, some of which nothing to do with motoring.

The spam man has done rather well.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
Regional Representative
For Republic of Ireland - AORI

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

It doesn't really take into account that if everyone statrs boycotting the big two the demand for the rest will go up and so will their prices (using the same logic outlined in the spam)
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

The government take 2/3's of the price anyways, not the oil companies.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Gold Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MkV Golf GT TDi 140 DSG

Originally Posted by Nev View Post
It's just a way to manually create vast amounts of SPAM.
Originally Posted by Mike69 View Post
Sorry, but it's a typical spam email. As far as I am aware, Tesco don't own any oil fields.
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
This has been on every forum I'm on, some of which nothing to do with motoring.
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
It doesn't really take into account that if everyone statrs boycotting the big two the demand for the rest will go up and so will their prices (using the same logic outlined in the spam)
Originally Posted by Alfa_Daryl View Post
The government take 2/3's of the price anyways, not the oil companies.
Apart from that... It's a brilliant idea.

#8 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

156 sportwagon

At Le Mans a year or two ago the bloke in the tent next to me worked for BP. He was involved in the research side of things and doing this he needed to understand many different aspects of the business, including sales. He said to me that as far as he understood it, if BP stoppedselling petrol in the UK tomorrow the companies bottom line would not be effected asthe proffit involved is not that great.
Maybe this was a slight exaggeration on his part, as, if they stopped selling petrol, then we would stop somewhere else to buy our paper, cigarettes, gum etc. so their overall sales would be effected, but the point that he was making was the small profit the oil campany makes, its the duty that makes petrol seem expensive.
And, at the end of the day, we all moan about the price of petrol, but, we all run Alfa's which are not known for their economy, are they?.
We may have modified our driving style and cut out those unnecessary, but fun, trips, but I think that is as far as most of are prepared to go at the momment. After all, a lot of us live in England and we don't do the demonstrating thing, even though we know it works. Stiff upper lip and all that rubbish.

Mick.

if things don't change they will stay as they are.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 04-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 1.6 TWIN SPARK

It's the tax that make's it expensive (ie carbon tax) what a joke. People at petrol station's get very little from a litre of fuel they all have to have shop's now to help them make money
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 04-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Giulietta 170 MA + GTV TS

I got that email 2 years ago. very old spam.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2011 ALFA ROMEO...
2009 59 alfa romeo...
Alfa Romeo 147 Twin...