Does your work call on your day off? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Mymatemarmite

Does your work call on your day off?

Yet again, I have received a phonecall from work whilst on my dayoff. I've lost count of the times this has happened to myself and my colleage. I reckon I get a call about 50% of the time from the manager. It's never anything that he couldn't sort out himself. I always make sure that my customers know when I am not in, that way I can always be sure that I deal with them, and it also gives the manager no excuess to moan that he had had to deal with my customers. However there always seems to be a call, usually something like......the guy has come to fit a towbar and we can't find the car it's going on because we can see for s***! The call always ends with a completely insensere 'sorry to have bothered you on your day off!'. It's a right pain because it puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, and then you don't feel refreshed when you return to work. I'm someone who desperately needs my own space....Mrs Wills was off work today and even that left me feeling all at odds because she rarely has a Tuesday off, and I felt like my space was being invaded. So from this you can see why I react so extremely to work calling. A dayoff should be just that! I mean, it's not like I work for some secret government organisation and I need a mobile version of the bat phone with me at all times.......I sell cars for crying out loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 969
County: Languedoc Roussillon

Member car:

2 x Gtv's..V6 and TS

Easy..... if the manager doesn't manage.....P45 time ....hope you enjoy what is left of your "day off"
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Mymatemarmite

I have a week off from the 7th Dec, I'll have to see if there is a call divert setting on my phone, otherwise I might just go mad!!

Edit: Thanks for the sentiment
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 969
County: Languedoc Roussillon

Member car:

2 x Gtv's..V6 and TS

When answering a call start with..."Good morning/afternoon, Battersea dogs home, how can I help you" and apply for the managers job, sounds like you are already doing it
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Don't answer it.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Mymatemarmite

Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Don't answer it.
Just seeing the caller id then makes me wonder why they are calling, so I end up answering rather than 'wondering'.
I'll be setting the call divert on my week off, or maybe I'll just lock my phone in a drawer!
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
paintergirl

All the flaming time

But I have a plan; I've got a load of old PAYG sim cards and an old spare phone. I'm going to tell everyone I've changed my number and then turn the bloody thing off when I'm not working!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

My work hasn't got my number, so I don't suffer from this problem.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

1 of the companies i used to work for, i got a call from my team leader, he was trying to run 1 of the machines on a weekend with someone else who was clueless about the machine, he asked me if i would talk him through editing a few lines in a program over the phone, i asked him if i was getting paid overtime for doing it, he said no, i said goodbye. Went in on monday and told the production manager (his boss) that i have gave the company my home phone number incase i have an accident at work, not to be on call incase someone cant run a machine. Team leader got a roasting for callin me on my time off and for not running machine .

Never got anymore phonecalls

Also Known As Mr. O or The Citrus 1

Last edited by mr.orange; 24-11-09 at 17:29.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
mikebrown

as im the boss...no...
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD 200bhp+

I get phone calls from places I used to work at asking for help ... personally I don't mind and give them all the help they need, I've even gone in to help them a few times too ...

... when I go in I do charge them a fortune though
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by Sparkywills1 View Post
Just seeing the caller id then makes me wonder why they are calling, so I end up answering rather than 'wondering'.
I'll be setting the call divert on my week off, or maybe I'll just lock my phone in a drawer!
I understand - I am under pressure to get a Blackberry - NO WAY - slavery by another name - I have no desire to receive emails at 23.00 from poor saddos who cannot organise their working lives in the time they are paid to do so. Also I know myself - I WOULD look at the damn thing before I went to bed and fret about it.

My point? - PLEASE Sparkywills - take the battery out, lock it away but DO NOT ANSWER IT on your day off. If you do not answer it then the problem, quite rightly, remains entirely theirs.

Annnnnd - breathe.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV 16VT 260bhp

I was called once on a day off, a Sunday to be precise.

I was at a BMX race session, was called by my director to basically shoot me down for something going wrong at work which I didn't see as my fault, caused me to have a big drop on my bike, recked the bike and skinned my back. I quit that following Monday.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1089
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Imaginary 159 3.2 V6

It's called harassment if they won't let you have a day off.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS Turismo

In a previous life - yes.

In my current life - NO
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Rayq81

As Director of my company I feel it is my duty to get the manager to call any driver on their day off, that way I can ruin their day the same way as they do when they call in sick and ruin mine.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by Rayq81 View Post
As Director of my company I feel it is my duty to get the manager to call any driver on their day off, that way I can ruin their day the same way as they do when they call in sick and ruin mine.
Perhaps having a director who does that they call in sick more often?
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Rayq81

Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Perhaps having a director who does that they call in sick more often?
I was joking Paul, I actively encourage my guys to have a day off and actually have a no contact policy when people are resting or on holiday, im not that bad.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Kalel

Common problem in my industry.

Same scenario everytime. I'll ignore the call. I'll receive a message from said person to give them a ring re: A, B or C.

I respond via e-mail if I feel it's urgent.

Very annoying but given the level of responsibility of the job, sometimes I need to reply.

Make a point though never to receive calls or return them on my day off.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
efcsted

I have a policy with my boss / work.
Unless I specifically say that they can ring me, every phone call they make to me, I get a half day in return.
Soon stops unless it is hugely urgent but my point with them is that, if they have to ring me on my time off, they need to get their own organisation right
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Mercedes-Benz 190E

I believe it is essential for everyone to have uninterrupted time off. You're not much use to the business if you return back troubled and exhausted after your break because you never fully switched off because work kept calling you.

Whether you're on holiday or not, problems will crop up no matter how many you tried to put to bed before you left. Problems are no respecter of holidays; 'problems' never take a break. But, because the mobile phone has given us ubiquitous connectivity and blurred the lines between calls received that are personal or private, it's so much easier for work or clients to 'simply give you a quick call even though I know you're on holiday, and ask about...'; that would not of happened 30 years ago.

What annoys me is that knowing that because I can be called to fix a problem anytime, any place, anywhere (Martini Style!), this robs the caller of any inclination to fix what's usually a straightforward problem themselves. Plus - and by jimny this annoys me - is after the initial call (which has set your mind racing) you get no update saying 'problem fixed'; so you spend the rest of the day worrying about it, and if they cracked it. That makes for some holiday/day off!

Even in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by Rayq81 View Post
I was joking Paul,
So was I - honest.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Mymatemarmite

I think from now on I'm just going to set the work number on divert, if they call and I see the caller I.d, I'll just try to ignore it and listen to any messages the next day. I'm looking forward to a week away from the place. Being commission based I tend to take less time off than is healthy. I've had two long weekends this year, but other than that my last week off was October last year. I reckon I need to review my priorities. Earning the cash is one thing, but what's the point if you drive yourself mad which is what I'm doing
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV 16VT 260bhp

What about diverting all work calls to a landline at your office? that will play with there heads
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 24-11-09
Mymatemarmite

Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
What about diverting all work calls to a landline at your office? that will play with there heads
Now that, my friend, is a very cunning plan

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?