Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GT 1.9 JTD N/S driveshaft and W/B

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gammakeith 
#1 ·
Nearside drive shaft on the 6 speed gearbox has the famous cup and spider inner joint. Mine has plenty of play, the car vibrates at speed so I'm attempting in my own stubborn Yorkshire way to change it myself.
Most of the shaft is out now I separated the spider from the cup by releasing the gaiter, but I cannot get the cup and shaft out. I know there's a spring clip in there but it will not shift for me and I'm scared to apply much more force in case I damage the oil-seal and holder. Am I doing something wrong? do I need to get into the diff to release it? Any suggestions welcome.

I also thought I'd change the wheel bearing whilst I was at it. This isn't so urgent as it's not actually gone but it has done 145,000 and the clutch having already been changed along with the lower and upper arms and now the drive shaft ( hopefully ) I thought I'd pre-emp any more taking apart of the near side suspension for a while by doing it whilst it was apart this time If I could.
Cant get a key into the allen bolts with the hub in position so my question is what tool or method do I need to separate the hub from the bearing or should I just cut the old bearing housing off and then separate it afterwards on the bench?

#4 ·
Thanks for the information Keith that is what I thought. . .no honest. I read another post recently that seemed to suggest you had to remove the other drive shaft and tap through! HUH!
Now I'm 99.99% sure alfisti that there is no way through an Alfa 6 speed box diff (because I have one in the garage for one thing). but it did just make me wonder if there wassome other trick to it.
Unfortunately mine won't just pull out like a normal car, I've tried all sorts of pressure and leverage to the point where I'm worried about damaging the oil seal holder or even cracking the casing If I go much further. I have to conclude that the spring clip has been difformed or is so packed with cr*p that it can't give enough to let the shaft out.So what next? diff out?

#3 ·
Should pop out with a bit of levering with a big screwdriver or pry bars, try turning the shaft as you lever sometimes helps. Not done the wheel bearing on this car yet but from a quick look on elearn looks like the bearing comes apart when removing and a big press is needed to put the new ones on. Good Luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.