Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Turbo louder since undertray removed

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  shfcook 
#1 ·
I bought a 20v sportwagon over a month ago now, and had the undertray removed fairly quickly. I would swear that the turbo is louder now than before, or am I just more intune with the car, or worst of all is the turbo getting louder because they get louder when they're on the way out?

#3 ·
it is not good to remove the undertray - put it back.....

you can get crud under the timeing belt cover and mess up the cambelt

make your engine more likely to overheat as the airflow depends on the undertray

put your sump at risk as the undertray takes the impact as you bottomo out before the sump

get your engine bay orrible and messy.......

Simes.

#4 ·
Interesting, both AR were happy to remove the undertray on my 10v back in 2003, and now with this 20v even The Alfa Workshop thought it was a good idea...we live in London, and every local journey basically is 75% speedbumps and the undertray is 2 years old and has started to sag.

More importantly do you think the soundproofing on the undertray is why the turbo is louder, I can't remember it with the 10v, is the 20v turbo that much bigger and therefore louder?

#5 ·
Get a Zeatek ali undertray. Not much more than an Alfa cardboard replacement and will protect the sump especially around town where the speedbumps can cause problems. Mechanics also don't like them as they are something extra to remove/replace ... plus they have a habit of snapping off the screws! So if they have the option it will disappear on the first service!!

#6 ·
All I've read is that the undertray does not physically protect the sump from knocks but does protect it from dirt, but it certainly doesn't invalidate the warranty. I'm not sure that Zeatke do a undertray for the 20v 2.4jtdm.

However I'm more interested in the sound insulation aspect. Is there any sound insulation on the Zeatek undertray, and would the removal of the AR undertray have meant that the turbo would sound louder in the cabin?

#8 ·
RicksAlfas said:
It's possible. They are there mainly (I believe) to help with EU drive by noise regs. Same on many other new cars.
;)
Dead right, but there is an additional benefit in smoothing the airflow under the car for less drag/higher top speed. I'd rather run with than without. The top cover is also more there for the drive-by (external) noise than looks! (usually thick clods of stuff underneath.
Manufacturers ALWAYS have reasons for spending money on components!:tut:

#9 ·
I am tempted by the Zeatek aluminium tray, but just concerned that I might get some of that graunching noise back every speed cushion with all the pedestrian staring at you. At least some of the cushions are now being replaced with sleeping policeman (whole width of road) which are much kinder to the inner tread of the tyres, and to cars with low slung undertrays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.