Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Floppy gear stick stuck in 2nd gear

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  vamoursly 
#1 ·
Hello

I was coming home today and suddenly my gear stick went floppy, theres not a lot of lateral movement, but can move it up and down ok.

The clutch engages and disengages fine, no lose of pressure or change in the feel of the pedal.

I have read through the forums and I think this is a gear linkage issue, is it something I can fix myself, or should I get an mechanic to look at?

Mines a 54 reg GT 3.2v6

So far I have taken out the surround to the gear stick and stopped there for direction :)

Thanks for your assistance

Vamoursly

#2 ·
Don't know if yours is the same as the JTD but when mine did this easy fix.

Remove the battery and battery tray you should then be able to see the top of the gearbox. the linkages are on top. It is probably one of the cups that has come adrift, just push it back on to the ball. I tied mine with a plastic cable tie to stop it from popping off again.

Dave

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will take the battery and battery tray out on Sunday and will take a look, I will do a search online to see if I can find some type of workshop manual.

and as a backup I book her into a garage on Monday :)

Is the diesel and petrol gear linkages the same / similar?

V

#4 ·
I had a similar problem on my van, I popped the cable back on but it came off again within a couple of miles( It generaly doesn't come off for no reason, probably just well worn). I had the gear selector cables replaced about 50000 miles previous at a cost of about £220.I didn't fancy paying again so I used a bit of rag between the ball and the knuckle connection and it never let me down again. Worth a try!

#7 ·
£5 delivered if you look on eBay. :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.