Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Sud seen NYF841Y for sale

Tags
nyf841y sud
3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Alfa pat 
#1 ·
Saw this Sud fly past me on a27 Sussex with a for sale sighn in window in it but didn't get the number who's is it any ideas very loud red Sud

#8 ·
I done a bit on research on this as I was also very interested in it but was put off by what I found out apparently it has been about a bit had a bit of a hard life and has had a bad accident to the rear at some point in its life classing it as a total loss I guess that doesn't matter as it could of happened years ago but with that and a few other things I was told and the fact it only had 1 months mot just put me off it but I guess if you got it cheap enough and you know what you are buying none of the above matters : )

#10 ·
Yes it was technically written off in 1996, but as is often the case with lower value cars the incident was fairly minor. I've been in touch with the then owner (Simon Mayo). The rear panel behind the number plate was pushed in at a classic "T" junction moment. Because the panel was (already!) no longer available new in 1996, the insurance company couldn't repair it in accordance with their repair policy, so it was written off. Simon had the panel pushed back out and made good, then carried on racing the car for a few more years.

To be fair, any race car is going to have had a hard life, and this one is no exception. But on the positive side, it's realtively cheap Sud with a special engine and an interesting history in hillclimb and sprints.

#17 ·
Well I collected the car on a dark and wet night, and had an exciting/scary 50 mile drive! The engine feels and sounds fantastic - the induction noise is even louder than the exhaust - and that's pretty loud! The suspension and steering are also fantastic.

It's gone straight off for a bit of a mechanical overhaul as it seems to have suffered from a lack of regular use (brakes!!). Funds permitting, it will then have some body work and a re-paint.

Anyway, here are a couple of "before" pictures of the car.

2013_09_11_9_1.jpg Photo by Milesy_06 | Photobucket

2013_09_11_9.jpg Photo by Milesy_06 | Photobucket

- special thanks to James for all his help on the history of this car - see you at Castle Combe next year.

#19 ·
To be honest, I'm new to this forum thing. But I wasn't expecting to see a public posting repeating inaccurate and damaging information about my new acquisition on the basis of "it's just what I heard" followed by demanding to know how much I paid for it. If this is forum life, I think I'll pass thanks.

#21 ·
Hi Chris and welcome to AO! :)

Please don't be put off, I'm positive that Tom wasn't being malicious in what he said and wasn't "demanding to know" anything - just passing on information and asking the sort of thing we all want to know. But you shouldn't ever feel obliged to answer anything you aren't comfortable with - your money and dealings are your own business.

That said, they're a helpful and friendly bunch here and it would be a shame for us (and you) if this first experience was off-putting. I hope you stick around to find that out for yourself. :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.