Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Screeching Brakes Question...

Tags
screeching
866 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mo 156 
#1 ·
Hi All,

my front driver's side wheel is starting to screech when Braking so guessing the pad is almost finished.

as I have the TI and seen stories of seized pins, jammed brakes(!) it's scaring me so I have no clue where to take it for the work... Will most places know of the issues that I've seen mentioned here?

SGT is the nearest dealer in Taplow. I'm thinking of just going there as they used to be very knowledgeable even if shockingly expensive... but that would be stupid costwise :cry:

and I've got the car booked for its remap for next wed! I don't want them to wreck the discs while testing the car!

#2 ·
Screeching brakes dont necessarily mean they're almost finished, it's usually because the get a little "dried up".
If the pads still have enough left on them, just get some copper slip re-applied to them, this should solve the screeching.
Obviously if the pads are thin, get them replaced...

#4 ·
Goes without saying, don't put copper slip on the contact face...
Also, a screeching brake could just be a small stone wedged in which squeals like a b***h against metal rotor under pressure...

#3 ·
Just had the idea of taking to kwik fit for the free brake inspection, if they bugger it up they'll have to cover the costs to fix.

But, given what I've seen them do in the past, a really silly idea. who knows how badly they will screw it up! or what else!

#7 ·
late to come back here but thought I should close this off:
UPDATE:

took it to a small garage local to work couple weeks ago. £40 to strip down and clean the brakes. all greased up/copper slipped.
No more noises, the car brakes same as before thankfully!
And the car runs better!!! clearly a wheel or two must have had the brakes seized and I just didn't realise! it runs much smoother! and even seems to accelerate a bit better... but that's likely a placebo!

#8 ·
Forgot I made this thread... thought I should update it should anyone look
my brake problems have returned. not so much the screeching... but sometimes actual feedback when braking now! also sometimes the brakes seem to be stuck to the car when left overnight. this only happened a couple of times with my 156...
new thread started here (perhaps in error as this old thread exists):
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/470202-brakes-have-problems.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.