Alfa Romeo Forum banner

oil light flicker at idle

Tags
flicker
3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jonalfaspider 
#1 ·
I took my spider out today (ph1 2.0l ts) for its first good run and after about a hour i was sat at the traffic lights and the oil light started to flicker?? as soon as i moved off the light went? i drove home and parked up and again when the engine dropped to 800rpm the oil light flickered on and stayed flickering for about 3mins before i switched the engine off. I turn the engine back on after ten mins and when the car settled at 800rpm the oil light started flickering again:confused:

#14 ·
Might sound silly, but did you refit the gasket from the oil strainer to the pump?

yep but good thinking

In my line at work I've seen several cranks destroyed by excess sealant clogging the oil pick up strainer after having work done elsewhere. Any excess is squeezed out like jam from a butty on assembly and has nowhere else to go.

the more i think about it the more i want to drop the sump (i hate that job lol!)

#15 ·
It's never good to have to back track and take something back to bits but at least you will know. I would get the oil pressure checked 1st, it may tell a tale but even if ok strip the bottom end and inspect. Oil pressure should be 4.4 bar at 4000 rpm according to Autodata.

#16 ·
Blast from the past Jon but what was the outcome of the flickering light mate?

(Don't ask why I'm asking :grumpy:)

#17 ·
Hi Mitch sorry for the late reply retail is crazy busy this time of the year not much time for playing with the alfas.

I'm sure it was just a sensor that wasn't screwed in and was rattling at idle. Your gtv doing the same? Hopefully nothing serious after all that work you have had done, seen the pics on squadra 916 and looking sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.