Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How to fit a full size spare to a GT (safely and securely).

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  agent smith 
#1 · (Edited)
Post deleted. Not giving the fruits of my efforts to this forum any longer. Sorry folks.

#2 ·
Nice solution for those that are troubled not having a full-size spare. You could do with some sort of cover to protect it.

All the best

Pub

#10 ·
Having driven around for four days with the joke spare on the right front
Am I being a bit thick here, or is this making a bad situation worse by putting it on the front?

When I ran over a pothole and stuffed up my N/S front wheel, I moved things around and put the SS spare on the rear at the roadside. OK, it was 5mins extra work, but I dealt with it for a couple of days until my replacement alloy arrived.

#4 · (Edited)
...The initial problem would appear to be that the emergency spare fits face-down with the tool/jack tray sitting inside the back of it. There is no way to fit a full size spare in the same way...
It does.
All you need to do is hammer that support slightly to clear the centre of the alloy.
Mine has been like that with a full size 16" spare for over 7-years...

Edit: to be honest, I did think of doing it your way, but there is no way that would work in a 156 Saloon due to the angle you need to get the wheel at to get it in to the well.

#6 ·
That's a bit extreme. I'm sure you could make anything fit if you are prepared to bash away at it :lol:
Plus the carpet mat would then sag down into the inside of the wheel.
It was the only way.... I only used the skinny spare for one short drive from home to a tyre depot.... as soon as I got home I started searching eBay for a 16" Selespeed alloy to use as a matching full size spare.... there was no way I was going to use the skinny spare again!!

With the 156 boot and the non-flexible boot floor carpet there is no way you can simply lower the alloy vertically into the well, it has to go in at an angle. So the wheel has to be face down and the tool holder fits in afterwards, so no sagging carpet.

#9 ·
Why coul the wheel not go in the same way as the space save but making sure the metal bottom of the boot doesn't scratch the alloy as such?
Could that way not be done or would the wheel width be a issue where by it would face up to high in the boot?

Anyway thats a good idea and well implemented.

G
#13 ·
As Dave C has said....

"If it doesn't fit, get a bigger bloody hammer" It worked for me years ago... 10 mins work max:thumbs:

All our family Alfa's have the same modification...

Tell you what was funny though, Now we had a surplus of four totally useless and pointless space savers, we put them on one car... Burn outs and drifting were no problem whatsoever... Oh the fun!:cheese:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.