Alfa Romeo Forum banner

New Discs+Pads..poor brakes?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MattSax 
#1 ·
After sorting out my soggy footwell:thumbs: I now seem to have gained a judder when braking firmly(not hard) from 70-50 also after this when braking at slower speeds can feel a slight pulse(throb) through the brake-pedal.
Ive had the car since last Tuesday and the dealer had fitted new f/discs+pads, you can still see the dots on the discs.
Also a squeel started this morning at low speeds not sure if front or back but goes when handbrake or brakes are used. Anyone any ideas or is it a phone call and a good journey to dealer:(:(:(

#5 ·
I think the person who fitted the disc has failed to clean the hub flanges properly.

Either that or there has been some transfer of pad material onto the disc surface. This can happen when the discs/pads are not bedded in correctly.

#13 ·
Even after bedding in new pads I sometimes get some pad material deposited on the front discs, which can make the brake pedal feel a bit lumpy. Happens more if you brake to a stop and keep your foot on the brake pedal. I just take the car our for a blast and get the brakes nice and hot, which seems to clean them up a treat and eliminate any lumpyness.

When I was looking for new brakes discs I found some brake discs have holes some have dimples and some nothing at all. I know EBC do dimpled discs. I think the dimples are intended to help cool the disc and help remove the gasses generated under braking, similar to holes but they should be all around the disc.

#14 ·
Hi Guys, can't add any comment to posts on the front brakes - you've got it covered, but a squeal on the rears is often caused by the calipers not releasing properly (handbrake application stops the squeal) Solution is quite simple; remove the real calipers, and wind back the piston (using the proper tool), pump it back out (gently, or if its on the bench, use the handbrake lever) and repeat a few times - you'll feel it free up. This will usually resolve the squeal. I've done this many times on two 156's and my 3.0 GTV. If you don't do this, you can cook the discs/pads and end up with scary brake fade and a premature overhaul. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.