Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Purchase advice for a noob...

Tags
noob purchase
1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  2ndtimearound 
#1 ·
OK, I'll be honest.....6 years with a Peugeot 406 Coupe (2L, not V6) - fantastic motor, drove it till it wouldn't go no more (was Billy Davies car when he was Motherwell FC manager, now with Notts Forest - name dropping, me ??), now been with my 3-series 2.2L V6 coupe but it's boring me to death....great smooth drive but I want a sexy change so a Brera is getting my head turning quicker than a 21 yr old in a bikini :wow:...

So, I had my eye on an S - stunning motor, gun-metal grey (or whatever it actually is) with big ol' 19" silver alloys....but some bugger bought it :(

Now looking at a 3.2 V6 JTS (what's a Q4 ???), 22K miles, glass roof, 56 plate for 16,800 hard earned £££..

What you think, good price / good change ?
Would I be as well going derv ?
I only do about 6-7000 miles p/a but I want them to be head-turners...my Pug got lots of +ive comments from total strangers...it's nice..I miss those comments :)

G
#2 ·
Yeah the Pug Coop's are stunning, Pinafarina styling or however it's spelt is always a plus, :cool:

To be honest mate, if you are going to hang onto this car for a while, AND you want the best out of your Alfa experience, in my eyes it's got to be the V6. The DERVS are also good, but for that sheer grunt you'll want the 3.2 V6, some 260BHP I think??? :confused:

Sadly the 3 series is really common, even though I love them, so I can see why you don't get any attention.

BUT, if you have your heart set on an S then keep waiting, seen a few S's close up and Christ are they something else, :eek:

G
#5 ·
Price wise I'm not really up to date on all the modern Alfa's like the Brera, 159, Mito etc etc, but look around and see what similar examples are up for, and remember always to haggle and come in low, especially at dealers, they'll want to shift whatever they can for whatever they can, :lol:

Good luck though mate, :thumbs:

#4 ·
Q4 means 4 wheel drive. All 3.2's are q4. Not sure about price. Probably best to compare with other similar brera's. Have a search on here about fuel consumtion for the 3.2. I think i've seen someone saying it was worse than his 911!

But then if your concerned with mpg you wouldn't be looking at the v6!

G
#7 ·
Hi shedster, I drove a few 3.2's as swore thats what I wanted, then i test drove the 2.4 diesel ....just my personal opinions but .
1) To get anywhere fast you will need to thrash the V6 . mpg will be in the teens, I got 12 mpg on a 12 mile test drive ...
2) They sound great, but the diesel sounds fantastic too
3) Dont get a red one, I saw loads with chips all over them and lots of feedback on here
4) Make sure you have a warranty, pref Alfa approved used. It will probably have something minor go wrong
5) Haggle, my 2007 8K mile 2.4 with 18 inchers and electric seats was on the forecourt at 17500, I paid 16200 after a bit of polite firm discussion. I would aim for sub 16k on a 2007 with <10000 miles
6) Get an S if you can, but it will cost

Good luck !

G
#9 ·
Thing is mate, compared to what you have been driving, the Brera 3.2 V6 engine is going to blow your mind. As far as i can remember, they have the GM built 260BHP powerplant in them, compared to your BMW and 406 it's going to absolutely FLY! :eek:

I went from a 2 Litre Mondeo with something like 130BHP, to an Alfa 156 V6 with 190BHP, and although it doesn't sound like ALOT of difference, I was amazed, Alfa V6's are just like little rockets, ESPECIALLY the 3.2 Arese engine AND the GM 3.2 engine.

Apparently the Arese 3.2 V6 (The old Alfa engine) and the GM 3.2 V6 offer similar performance due to the weight of the GM one, it's got about 20BHP extra but weighs a touch more. But it will be like a rocket that Brera mate if you get the 3.2, :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.