Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Connect NAV+ and traffic updates

3K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Gysman 
G
#1 ·
Hiya,
recently bought a 147 with the connect nav+ but what puzzles me is the fact it seems to know nothing about the traffic situation on the roads en route. The manual refers to the traffic function but it unavailable or absent when I choose it from the nav menu. I receive the normal traffic reports over the radio but my old 50quid stereo did this.
Do I have to be signed up to the special Informational service(green button)? As yet my Alfa dealer has been unable to get me connected to this which is becoming a real pain.
Anyone know about this or point me to a better site than the Alfa site for this info?

The car is absolutely cracking and money well spent I reckon. Feel let down with the nav system though.

thanks in advance

RIch

#2 ·
hmm... well, let me first say that them TMC function of the nav system is not very great. I drove an M3 convertible the other day, and I started the car, programmed the route, and immediately it said: "traffic jam ahead, calculate different route?" Now that's what I call Traffic Message Channel.

Now, back to CN+ from alfa. Yes it has TMC. No you dont need a special subscription. But! You do need to first select a radio station that broadcasts the TMC signal. The signal is broadcasted over an FM radio channel. In holland the channels that braodcast that signal are: Skyradio, Classic FM and Radio 3 FM.

For more info, and to find a radio station that broadcasts the TMC data check the site http://www.rds-tmc.co.uk/

When an FM station recieves TMC, the letters TMC appear in your display after a while when the AUDIO button is pressed.

Good luck!
Gysman

ps I must say that I only get a list of trafficjams, and sometimes a small icon on my map, but NOT related to the route I programmed. So, i'm slightly disappointed in the TMC system.
CN+ rocks, though!

#3 ·
Gysmann, do you know if you need to store this radio channel (for ex. STU BRU or DONNA)??
Or is it enough to select it, so the nav system can listen along and see if there are traffic jams ahead or not??

And what, if you are listing to a cd, after programming the route??

Just asking...

#4 ·
And don't forget, you need AT LEAST a 2002 navigation CD from Navtech wink

I'm dissapointed in the TMC function as well.. still, this is one thing you can't really blmae Alfa (well, not entirely :rolleyes: ) it's a Siemens thingy, isn't it?

G
#5 ·
thanks for this I will give it a try on the way home tonight
bound to be plenty of traffic on the M25 as always

I will check what version of the navtech disc I have in the slot as the car is a Nov 02 but alfa could have thrown any ol' disc in.

Are there problems in the previous version then?
Is this covered under warranty?

rich

#6 ·
you should find the date on the navigation CD.. mine said "2001 autumn-winter version"
Normally ,when you register at Navtech, you're entitled to one free update..

#7 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:
<strong>I'm dissapointed in the TMC function as well.. still, this is one thing you can't really blmae Alfa (well, not entirely :rolleyes: ) it's a Siemens thingy, isn't it?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Guys,

As you (might) know, I have a non-alfa Navigation thingy WITH TMC.

And I must say: most of the time, it works GREAT. :)

However, it really depends on the radio station. Skyradio :p sucks really, they give e.g. 6 messages, while 3FM has 43 on the same date and time eek!

IF the system receives the correct info, I guess it'll work fine.

Anyway, I get a voice warning telling me there is a traffic jam and if I want to re route (and how much extra km's + time this will take me :cool: ) :eek:

:)

#8 ·
show off :p

we just got this Italian voice saying "ey,watse de probleme? road no good? aah,izze notink"
laughing

#9 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:
<strong>show off :p

we just got this Italian voice saying "ey,watse de probleme? road no good? aah,izze notink"
laughing </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I get a Flemish voice :rolleyes: wink

#11 ·
<strong>Could be worse... :rolleyes:
Could be Maroccan laughing </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">goed oitkaiken en dan gauw wechraiden

:p

#14 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gunny:
<strong>Gysmann, do you know if you need to store this radio channel (for ex. STU BRU or DONNA)??
Or is it enough to select it, so the nav system can listen along and see if there are traffic jams ahead or not??

And what, if you are listing to a cd, after programming the route??

Just asking...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">programming not neccesary, but as far as I know, stubru and donna do not transmit the TMC signal. I know that Wallonie is further with TMC than Vlaanderen. (Wimster, any more info on this?)

When CD is selected, i have no idea if TMC still is recieved. I alway select skyradio, wait a while and then look at the list of trafficjams. You can pinpoint them on a temporary map, and you can use it as a destination for your navigation system. Very useful. NOT!!!! duh...

All and all I must admit I dont use the TMC very often. The BMW M3 I was talking about has a dual tuner, so it automatically selects a TMC radio station, even when you listen to something else. And based on that info it can automatically re-route. Now that's useful

Must admit that our TMC is not very good, and also re-routing could be better. But, in the end I still like the system as a whole.

@rich1221: the problem with earlier cd's was that TMC didnt work. Blew me away as well, dealer just said: "TMC doesnt work". (must admit, he said that before the car was bought)

Gysman

G
#16 ·
Rich,

To get RDS TMC on any system you need two things - a TMC signal (Classic FM in the UK) and a list of the codes.

All well and good - apart from the provider in the UK (ITIS/NavTrak) use a "conditional access" system - ie. you have to pay for it. Well, Alfa/NavTech have to pay for a license to put the codes on the NavCD - which is then passed on to us by paying more for the CD.

The problem is that Alfa haven't got a UK license - so no RDS TMC for us. I belive the "Major Roads of Europe" feature does have it for certain European countries - but don't quote me on that :)

As far as I know it is only Toyota and VDO Dayton that have a UK license.

However - what I have had for the last few years and is rather cool is an AA/Vodafone Personal Roadwatch 1800 - it is a small egg shaped jobber which beeps and show pictograms of delays. It was £30 for a Vodafone store, dosn't have any contract and gives you warning of traffic jams ahead and on connecting roads. I haven't seen them around for a while, but to honest I haven't looked :)

Sorry it is bad news - hopefully a new CD will solve it for us.

The connect service (the green button) is cool, but rather expensive once the free period has expired.

G
#17 ·
This is not good news. I was sold the car under the understanding that there was some traffic detection system for the sat nav.

Also how much is the connect service after the free period, sales man did not know the price.

Is there a number for Alfa about the Sat Nav and connect service(mine is still saying unsubscribed)

thanks for the help

Rich

#18 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rich1221:
<strong>This is not good news. I was sold the car under the understanding that there was some traffic detection system for the sat nav.

Also how much is the connect service after the free period, sales man did not know the price.

Is there a number for Alfa about the Sat Nav and connect service(mine is still saying unsubscribed)
thanks for the help

Rich</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the Connect service in Belgium is around 300€ a year..
Did your dealer send in your application form?? In order for it to work, he has to do that..

#19 ·
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rich1221:
<strong>This is not good news. I was sold the car under the understanding that there was some traffic detection system for the sat nav.

thanks for the help

Rich</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the Connect service in Belgium is around 300€ a year..
Did your dealer send in your application form?? In order for it to work, he has to do that..</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">300 Euronen eek!

Well, I guess it's cheaper than all those 0900 numbers :rolleyes:

:D

G
#20 ·
Rich,

Sorry I can't recall the price - but the eqiv. of €300 is about right. You should get 6 months free when you buy the car. Give Alfa UK customer services a call - they should be able to tell you & set it up. The number is on their web site somewhere.

Kp.

#21 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:
Could be Maroccan laughing </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">goed oitkaiken en dan gauw wechraiden

:p </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You sleezy gits! This counts for you too Gijs! I heard you laughing !

#23 ·
As said earlier, the TMC function of the CN+ system isnt all that great. But speaking to Bob (dealership SaVaLi) again, he told me that there was a big software update in the fiat stilo (same system) and usually quite soon after the fiat updates, this becomes available for the Alfa's as well.

This would allow re-programming the route based on traffic jams, which with the current software is not possible.

#24 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:

:p </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You sleezy gits! This counts for you too Gijs! I heard you laughing !</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it was Portuguese you would get the first edition of that cd because some git would got his hands before on the last edition :rolleyes:

#25 ·
Or worst, you would get a cd from Steve Wonder instead the Navtech cd :rolleyes:

G
#26 ·
Would a software update be covered under warranty?

Got the Information service(green button) hooked up eventually today. Not impressed so far. Requested some traffic info for along my route and received nothing

r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.