Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Swaping details

748 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pud237 
#1 ·
Ive been driving an Alfa 146 1.4 TS for almost 5 years now. During that time ive invested some money in her and done her exaust, intake, suspension, brakes, did some work on the interior and repainted it.
Anyway the car is in great shape for a 10 yr old alfa. The only thing she is lacking is power.
So i thought about swaping the 1.4TS engine for a 1.8TS or a 2.0TS. Now i know its a great bother and that it would be simpler to just a buy a stronger alfa, but most of them are in pretty bad shape and it would cost me just to make them streetworthy and reliable.
My question is can a 1.8TS engine fit on a 1.4 Transmission? Im pretty sure that 2.0 cant. And if not what elements need to be changed with the engine and transmission? Driveshafts? Homokinetic joints?

#2 ·
If a 1.8 will fit to the transmission a 2.0 will....

No experience of this in UK 'cos we don't get any engine smaller than a 1.6, but my bet is that they will physically fit, no problem. IIRC the 1.4 is geared a lot lower, though, so whilst you will gain acceleration you won't gain any top end, and its possible that the 1.4 internals may not be able to handle the extra torque.

You'll probably have to uprate the radiator, too, and certainly use the 1.8 or 2.0 ECU/ code box / key.

Sure others will offer other thoughts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.