Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Sunroof not working

Tags
sunroof
4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jay w 
G
#1 ·
when i bought my GTV i knew there was an issue with the sunroof, the seller was very honest about it.

I have been trying to have a look at it today, when i try and open it the roof will move up a small amount and then the motor starts to make a noise as though it is slipping it's gears, push the button the opposite way and it will return to its normal place.

Opened the inspection flap, pulled the emergency key out and started to try and open it, i can get the roof to open and then it goes very stiff, and from here i am not brave enough to force it any more.

when i open it up using the key i can then close it using the switch, however as soon as it closes i am back to having little/no movement.

any ideas on what it could be?

#3 ·
Sounds like it's the same as my sunroof. Opens upwards, but when pressing the switch the other way it just makes a noise?? :( Doesn't slide open at all.

Sorry, but can't help with a solution. Other things ahead of this on my list of fixes required!! Hopefully someone on here might have also had the same problem and knows how it's fixed.

#4 ·
apart from trying to squirt some oil/grease onto the tracks etc i don't think there is an easy fix.
i have similar problem with mine, it will pop up but won't slide back, although the noise of the motor does stop. not sure if this is good or bad, if you can still hear the motor turning but the roofs not moving then maybe the tracking is buggered??

once i use the 'key' to turn the roof past that sticking point, the motor moves it the rest of the way fine, it seems to be a strong enough motor, i've put my hand against the edge of the glass to test it.

there is a relay next to the motor, i have tried another one but still no joy.

i think most owners/dealers just replace the whole thing, motor etc, i can't believe that they all wear out, i'm guessing that the problems down to some sort of cam/lift mechanism that needs oiling/adjusting, i've not got around to stripping the whole thing down.

#6 ·
Hi there,

I had the same issue. The sunroof would open fine but would not close and made a hell of a noise (more of an eletcrical nosie than mechanical). As it was opening ok I assumed that the motor was ok so I initially changed the relay but it was ok.The eventual problem was that the sunroof switch was faulty - its an easy replacement.

cheers
Allan

G
#9 ·
Well i been digging around....

i have the Alfa Manual on disc and it explains the sunroof and its components, after loooking at the i decided to try and open the roof with the emergency key to see if i could gain access to the mechanism.

actually opening the roof was the biggest issue, it was so stiff i believed that i was going to break something, so it was a case of open it a bit and then slacken off, open some more and slacken again.
Once the glass was tilted up it slid back a lot easier, the switch would not function correctly at any point and the roof mechanism looked like it had not seen oil/grease in a long time.
Chucked some WD40 on the runners bit i don't believe this will sort the issue out, when i went to close it i tried the switch, this is when i uncovered what i believe to be part of the issue.

The roof closed on an angle, by that i mean the roof was not square to the hole and finally it jammed, so i am left witht the conclusion that the cables are damaged or jammed and the guides are locing up and so causing an overload.

next job is to price up a set of cables and to strip it out, i will get some pics as i progress

G
#16 ·
yes and no :D

I love messing around with cars anyway so to me this is a bit of therapy, and the GTV is my weekend car so i have a bit of a luxary of not having to get it finished before a certain time

i have a few more jobs to do as well that will keep me busy :thumbs:

#14 ·
:thumbs: Oh yes, mine too ! Was thinking about a Spider but having read recent Threads on this topic think I'll stick to the coupe. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.