Hi everyone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

• 1 Post By RSN
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-16 Thread Starter
County: Sussex
Hi everyone

I have registered here some time ago when I was still living in Portugal (I'm Portuguese) to get the radio code for my 156 JTDm 16v. What I didn't know then was that the company I work for was going to transfer me to the UK so about a year ago, myself and the family packed our belongings in a big truck and drove the 156 from Portugal to the SE UK.

There were always Italian cars in my family while I was a kid. Two Lancias (Prisma and Dedra), a Fiat 127 from '71 (bought new and I still have it back in Portugal), one pre-restyle Alfa 156 1.8L and the last one was the (restyled) 156 JTDm 16v (LHD).

I'ts a bit strange (since they are very different) but I've always been into Italian cars (father influence) and old VW's so, together with our belongings in the truck, I was able to also fit my VW Golf mk2 GTI 16v and brought it to the UK.

Plans at this point are to get the Golf (LHD) through MOT and put UK licence plates on it so I can also drive it here (it's currently not insured and as such it's neatly tucked away, still on portuguese licence plates, for the time being). The 156 has been my daily driver (the wife is driving a UK car that we bought when we arrived, an X3 which is the most boring car I've ever had but she likes it) but time has come to send the 156 back to Portugal so we can have a car there when we go on vacation.

Long story short, I started thinking what to buy as a daily driver and It couldn't be less than 10 years old (new(er) cars don't do anything for me) so I started thinking GTV. I went to see a 2.0 TS GTV for sale in my area this week and without even noticing it I was putting down the deposit on it.

So, from next week on, I will be the proud owner of a '00 2.0L TS GTV and I couldn't be more excited. Can't believe I'll have to spend another weekend without it and I look forward to drive it in these beautiful UK B roads. Will starting going the long way home from work every day

Hope to spend a good time here in the forum and maybe even go to some meetings to meet other Alfa owners in the area.
SCGT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Lancashire
Welcome, enjoy the GTV and the forum.
County: Cork
Welcome to AO & good luck with the GTV
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome :wave:
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 21-03-16 Thread Starter
County: Sussex
Thanks everyone.
Still waiting for the GTV to be ready. Hopefully I'll get it in a day or two.
Requested a few more things to be done to it, most importantly sort the gear lever play which for me, still more used to shifting with my right hand, wasn't working.

Shifting with my left hand and and on top having to struggle to find the exact spot would kill my driving pleasure...
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome to Alfaowner 🤗

Join Alfabook Today

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself