Hello - Newly converted to Alfas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

• 1 Post By charlesmouse
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-12-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Hello - Newly converted to Alfas

Hello all,
I would seem to have become an Alfa convert - a shortish story:

I've tended to be in to Japanese cars (mostly imports of the more interesting models). My 'baby' for a good while has been a Mk1 MR2 Supercharger: Rare, quick, lots of fun, but in need of some mild TLC given it's been my daily driver for 10 years and not a young car.
I've owned a lot of cars but never an Alfa - the reputation for 'quirky' engineering rather put me off. Still, as the MR2 would be off the road for a bit I thought "Why not take this as an opportunity to get a GTV as temporary transport while the MR2 gets sorted?" I'm a little ashamed to say it was something of a joke initially: If friends asked "Why?" I'd reply "I wanted something sensible and reliable while sorting out my Supercharger."
So with low expectations and cheapness in mind I settled on a clean looking Blue Series 1 2.0TS GTV, having done some research first! Initial impressions? Nice car, surprisingly engaging to drive considering front wheel drive, good engine but slooow - don't be upset my daily driver was a much modified 200bhp midengined car that probably weighs half as much.
My initial happiness lasted about 1/2 hour before the mind-numbing squeal from one of the rear breaks started, but soon returned after further research and a (faffy) fix sorted that. I've also become something of a dab-hand at removing the door cards in the pursuit of perfect window alignment (more later).

Well, nearly 18 months later and I still haven't sorted my mothballed MR2, still happily driving the GTV. It's really grown on me, quirks and all. Oh, and it's been 100% reliable and doesn't drink a drop of oil.

About a month ago, while thinking it's high time I finished the MR2 and said goodbye to the blue GTV I spotted a low milage, seemingly clean, red, series 2 GTV v6 24v on eBay for surprisingly little money and in a moment of madness bought it, sight unseen! A trip to Manchester to see a very nice Polish chap landed me a car every bit as good as I hoped, rather than the dog I feared. What a revelation! I could go on about the many reasons I love this car, but it's an Alfa forum why preach to the converted?

It's going to be a big wrench but I think it's time the MR2 found a new owner - I'm keeping the red GTV and I can see the MR2 not getting the love it deserves anymore. (Oh, there's also a blue GTV 2.0TS that needs a new home)

One thing about my 'new' GTV that I could do with some advice on is there is a small gap between the glass and the window seal just above the door lock on the driver's side - it whistles a bit at speed and no amount of fiddling with usual adjusters has fixed it. I've read numerous threads regarding fixes for badly fitting GTV windows but haven't come across an answer for this one.

alfizta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome To‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ 。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░O░W░N░E░R░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
County: Cork
Welcome to AO & to Alfa ownership Charles, great to hear you've been enjoying your GTVs
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 22-12-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Thank you for the nice welcome :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfas , converted , newly