selespeed 'stays in neutral' problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 26-09-07 Thread Starter
Help selespeed 'stays in neutral' problem

Have owned quite a few cars mainly sport saloons, bmw, saab tubo's and have finally got round to Alfa's. Have bought a Y reg 156 2 ltr sportwagon only 45K on the clock with selespeed box and owned it for 8 months. Generally very impressed with performance and great sensitive handling. The overall finish is good but the steering bushes don't seem to stand up to the performance ability and wear quickly. Have been converted to the selespeed even though it took me about 4 wks to really relax with it. overall it's a great car..but the rumours about the selespeed have come home to roost as Ive just had it towed in to my local Alfa garage having lost all gears. I hope it's just electrical but will update here later..would appreciate any one with selespeed knowledge or experience getting back to me. Have had the gearbox warning light on a couple of times then yesterday lost gears approaching roundabout(slowing down). switched off ign and restarted and all ok then today same thing approaching roundabout, lost all gears ( i.e. just shows neutral) but now can't get anything even disconnected battery to reset but no go...?
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: selespeed 'stays in neutral' problem

Welcome to AO Mike.

Hope someone can come around to help. If not, do check the 156 Tech Lounge.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 JTDM

Welcome to AO Mike.

It could possibly be the hydraulic pump that powers the system. I had that fail on my 147 and without the pump the whole system just stops. A brand new one was about £350 IIRC replaced at a main dealer (I was lucky that I got it done under warranty) but you may be able to get it done cheaper.

Apart from that my selespeed has been fine and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I've just ordered a new Spider so will be selling my 147 once the Spider finally arrives and I have to say I will miss the flappy paddles no matter what Clarkson thinks of them.

I think the Alfa Selespeed is one of the best semi-automatic systems out there. I drove an Audi A4 estate once with the tiptronic and it was horrible. It was a proper automatic style gearbox rather than the hydraulic proper clutch that the Alfa uses. Whilst the Alfa selespeed doesn't have a clutch pedal it still feels like driving a manual.

Good luck with your 156.
Mark Alfa

Hello and welcome to AO Mike

Hope you get it sorted ok
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

Hi Mike welcome, you've found the best site around to help you
County: Durham

Member car:

(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 27-09-07 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for getting in touch and the welcomes, good to know the thread works. At the moment still haven't had diagnosis from Palmers of St. Albans... tomorrow they will have had it for a week ! They keep saying they will ring back but still nothing. It seems they are new Alfa dealers with not much experience. Have looked at old threads here at alfaowner and quite a few woeful tales of actuator replacement with no change to problem. A few hopeful suggestions of electrics, relay and even low battery and a couple of pump replacements.. thanks keeps54 for your pump info. I will keep updating as it progresses but getting nervous of Palmers..
AO Gold Member

Hello and welcome to AO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

neutral , problem , selespeed , tays