New Alfa Owner - GT 1.9JDTM - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 15-09-15 Thread Starter
County: -
New Alfa Owner - GT 1.9JDTM

Hi all,

Joined a week or so ago, but now the owner of a 56 plate GT 1.9JDTM which has only covered 63k miles.

Bought it for a bargain price, so it's a little rough around the edges to say the least.

So far the list is :

1.) Clean it - it's in a state. Needs the full on snowfoam / wash / iron-x / clay / correction polish / filler polish / seal / 2 x wax treatment :-) Two day job. Interior also needs a deep clean with some Dodo Juice Supernatural leather cleaner and sealant.
2.) Full alloy refurb - they're not TOO bad on the faces, but it's 9 years old, and there's some crap behind the spokes. A complete stripdown repair and powder coat will sort that!
3.) Paintwork - take it to a SMART repairer to get a nasty big scrape on the back repaired, plus a few other little dings etc
4.) Full service and rear brake pads - picked up in the MOT back in Feb, but the owner's done about 1k miles in it since.
5.) New front tyres - ones got a chunk out of it, another has a bulge.
6.) Tracking / balancing issues - wheel vibrating massively over 60mph, gets increasingly bad the faster I go ... so staying under 50 until it's sorted this weekend. REALLY hoping it isn't actually a driveshaft issue, but there doesn't seem to be anything else pointing to that, and the wheels look like they've taken a battering through potholes!
7.) Few little bits to replace, ie fuel filler cap, tweeter cover, seat release catch.
8.) Clean the EGR valve - also going to run a double dose of Forte Turbo cleaner in the next tank as a precautionary measure.

To be fair, mechanically, apart from the wheel balance, the car's in good order. No knocks etc, so fingers crossed when it goes in at the weekend it won't end up with an enormous bill! The leather is immaculate, no wear, tears, shaping at all.

Once all the above's completed, I'll still have change from 3900, so quite please really.

I'll post some photos inside and out when it's all done, hopefully will be the weekend of October 2nd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150913_182903.jpg (107.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
welcome ! looks like we are getting some where
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Welcome to AO
County: Cork
Welcome to AO & congrats on your GT
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome To‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░O░W░N░E░R░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
AO Member
County: UK

Member car:

159 2.0 Ti

Looks like you've got your hands full enjoy it and welcome!
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 21-09-15 Thread Starter
Definitely got my hands full ... Turns out the previous owner buckled a wheel (!!!!) which was the 'balance' issue I was talking about. Getting sorted when the wheels go in for a full refurb next week.

Plus the car decided I didn't need to change gear last night, so gone into the garage this evening to be looked at - fingers crossed its JUST the slave cylinder as I can change gears with the ignition off ... Plus I saw some fluid on top of a pipe underneath where the slave sits.

It's had a good detailing, ive managed to removed a lot of the scratches and imperfections, its had a full service, set of new tyres, new rear discs and pads ... Only needs new front discs and pads and a set of front tyres in the next month or so!

Don't mind too much as servicing / tyres / brakes are pretty much standard, and it was a bargain!

Still love the car, even if its costing me wayyyyy more than I expected :-) Managed to replace a broken seat latch last night which is a bonus! Also cleaned the egr valve and the map sensor which has made a massive difference to the responsiveness at low revs.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 23-09-15 Thread Starter
... aaaaaaaand it needs a new clutch, DMF and slave cylinder. Happy times!
AO Member
County: Essex
Originally Posted by stuart83 View Post
... aaaaaaaand it needs a new clutch, DMF and slave cylinder. Happy times!
would it make you feel better if i said i paid 600 for my GT JTD in january and iv done 14k since and spent nothing on it other than fuel and oil?

ah did they try a slave and it no better?

dont be too sad though, because it will be really good when you get it back, who is doing the work? make sure the plastic bushes on the clutch fork arm thing are replaced and greased
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 24-09-15 Thread Starter
It's a local garage who did the work, some people I really trust. They've done a great job, took them a hell of a lot longer than they expected, but they've not charged any more, and let me save cash by sourcing my own parts.

Luckily they're very local so I could limp it over to them, I wouldve taken it to Motormech but getting it there would have cost a fortune.

Happy with the work they've done, and it drives even better now with a much lighter clutch.

I'll be keeping it for a good few years so its kind of an investment in it :-)

Just new front tyres needed next month, as well as the alloy refurb and scrapes being taken out next week, and a refurb of the grab handles and it'll be perfect!

Loving the car, came from a mint Mk1 Leon Cupra R with 265bhp, and previous to that a Clio 182 with half leather Recaros, but the GT still feels more special.

The only thing that ruins it for me is the clatter of the diesel engine, but the whole idea of me changing from the Leon was to save money on fuel, so it was either a mark 4/5 Golf platform car or the Alfa. GT won hands down!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

19jdtm , alfa , owner