New member - 159 gearchange problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM

Not Happy New member - 159 gearchange problem

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I took delivery of a new 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso about 6 weeks ago, on a personal lease. The car is great to look at and usually fantastic to drive, with a great turn of speed. I love the quirky Alfa style, like the boot release in the roof controls and hardly any storage space ! I've identified a couple of small problems with over-sensitive lights and wipers - which other people have reported, a door handle that sticks in the 'up' position and a folding door mirror that often fails to unfold properly. Minor stuff really.

But I am being driven to distraction by the gearchange. I've seen posts on here describing it as 'sweet', 'smooth' etc. Not my experience. I often find it difficult to engage 1st gear when stationary, feeling like I have to force the lever in. The change from 1st to 2nd is usually accompanied by a loud crunching sound as if I'm not using the clutch. 4th to 5th has a smaller crunch. It doesn't happen all the time but on some journeys to work (10 miles) it happens every time. I can't be sure but it may be worse when the engine is cold.

I've taken it to Caledonia Warrington, twice, and asked them to road test it. Both times I've been told that they can't find anything wrong with it and that they're all like that. I'm afraid I just don't believe that. I test drove a 159 a few months ago and if it had been like this I would never have got one. I know I'll end up back there again soon, but what do you do when the dealers are in denial ?

I don't know if its the gear-lever, transmission, clutch or what that's at fault, but I do know that it's by far the worst gearchange I've experienced in 30 years of driving.

There are some posts on here that make reference to similar problems, but I'm wondering if anyone has had recent experiences, or can add their thoughts -particularly if they can solve it !!

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: New member - 159 gearchange problem

Good luck with your problem mate and welcome to AO
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

Welcome to AO
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.4 TI

Welcome to AO

my 159 has no problems at all with the gearchange and if you have driven another one before and didnt have the same issue it would suggest there is a problem.

i'd take it to another dealer for them to have a look at if your round the warrington area your next nearest dealers are Stoke and Knutsford.

are your pushing the clutch pedal to the floor when you change ? the only reason i ask is the bite point on the clutch on the 2 159's i test drove were very different. one low and one high
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Member car:

Hello and Welcome !!
County: Durham

Member car:

hiya and welcome to AO...

all the best..

Mark Alfa

Hello and welcome to AO

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

159 , gearchange , member , problem