Hi all, 1st Alfa and first post - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-15 Thread Starter
County: UK

Member car:

156 JTd 2.4

Hi all, 1st Alfa and first post

Due to ill health over the last couple of years, I was forced to give up work - and my car (not an Alfa, last one was a BMW, one before that was a Grand Cherokee). Prior to getting this one, I have actually only every been on one once, and that was ages ago and only for a short trip.
Obviously due to being on sick, my funds are limited but being without a car for almost 2 years was a nightmare. Anyway, a friend of mine got this car (156 JTD 2.4 1991) and I whilst Im not 100% keen on the look of it, I was more than surprised when I rode in it - if it wasn't for the "diesel noise" the engine made, I wouldn't have believed it was a 2.4 diesel. Long story short - he traded in his van for this car without checking the insurance first, and it was ridiculous so I got it off him for just over 500. Bodywork average overall but a few scrapes. Interior very good, and 90000 miles so Im happy with it.
I came across this forum as the car recently had its MOT, needed some welding and a few bits, but when I got it back with MOT, the mechanic advised me that the airbag warning light was on it wasn't on before the MOT, and I can only assume that since the car passed MOT then the light must have come on after the test! Anyway, he told me it was probably due to me letting the battery drain (was sat on my drive for a month waiting for finances to get it on the road). Im not an expert, but I do know that on some cars a dead or dying battery can cause odd issues with the ECU etc, but I was sceptical to say the least. They had been good to me though, collected and dropped it off and gave good price on repairs etc etc so I told him I would take his advice and look at bringing it back to get it checked, and (as he suggested it might be) the squib under the dash!
So here I am, some goggling led me to a couple of posts on here with info on diagnosing/resetting it and the common issue of the loose/dirty connections under the seats.
Erm, I tend to ramble on at times, so I'll leave my introduction now, and go and ask some questions that arose whilst playing with multiecuscan.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Welcome Calv

You'll find that these cars really get under your skin and the more time you have it, the more you will love it and forgive all the little and sometimes big problems they throw up.

Preventative maintanence is key with these cars and this forum is great for that. So if your prepared to get your hands dirty every now and again then thier not too bad to run.
County: Cork
Welcome to AO & to Alfa ownership Calv, congrats on your 156 & hope you get it sorted
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Welcome to AO Calv and hope you get well soon
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome :wave:
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome To‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░O░W░N░E░R░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Hi Calv waving glad you joined us.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

1st , alfa , post

« Faw | my first alfa »