Thanks all. The GTA doesn't have any mods that I'm aware of. 140k miles, £4k. Frankly, I'm already used to the clutch and a local specialist seems to think it's fine for the moment. I'll get a diff change as and when it does eventually need doing.
I reviewed an 05 GT Coupe up in Glasgow. It was on sale on Autotrader for £3500, it's now on Pistonheads for £3300. It was after a couple of weeks of emails back and forth, me wanting to view it, then pulling out based on an admitted issue with the gear linkage. Guy emails me back a week or so later saying that he's had it fixed. Key things being that he's said no rust, he's said the car drives like a dream. I think it sounds good.
So the issues were:
1. I had flown 350 odd miles Southampton -> Glasgow to come and look at his car, and he didn't have the decency to wash it - for the past month, it seemed. It was filthy, in some form of pathetic attempt to hide the chips and dings in the bodywork, I think.
2. Oil leak from the front of the engine, offside of the sump was soaked with oil.
3. Rust on offside rear wheelarch easily visible were it meets the bumper, and can be felt for about 90 degrees around the arch.
4. Gear linkage might have been "fixed" from what it was, but it was mush; I prefer my porridge in a breakfast bowl, not in my gearbox thanks. I managed to find all the gears eventually, but it was a bit hit and miss. I note it says on the PH advert that it's been greased, this is what he'd had done, it's far from right.
5. Brakes were binding (I had assumed this was fixed as he said "drives like a dream". It most definitely did not drive like a dream, unless your dream was the screech screech screech string music from Psycho...
6. ... and as a result when you tried to use the brakes, they were overheated just from the binding at normal test drive speeds, and had nothing to give.
7. Big bits of paint peeling from the front bumper, one an inch square by the shield.
8. Front rubber valance dangling from both sides.
If it had been free, I would still have thought twice about driving it back down to Hampshire with the brakes and gearbox the way they were, and if I'd driven 35 miles, instead of flying 350, I'd still have thought it a waste of time.
Used 2005 Alfa Romeo GT Coupe V6 24V for sale in East Renfrewshire | Pistonheads