Newbie alert - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Newbie alert

hi guys, thought i would come and introduce myself as im going to be pestering you at times in the future

at the weekend i made a purchase that i am ever so slightly chuffed about, i managed to buy a 155 silverstone for £400 it had a dodgy 4th gear that wouldnt select and the front wishboes need replacing, but the 4th gear issue resolved istelf when leving some servics on the m3 at a fair rate... have a feeling the linkage was snagging

the car needs some tlc to the paintwork, like alot of older alfas i should have thought, so the plan is to t cut and polish her up at the weekend and see how she fares, if not i will be getting her resprayed in the future

one main thing that is playing on my mind is the cam chain, the old girl is now on 100 k and has no recipt for it being replaced, and gut feeling and experience (in my limited years driving and even more limited years fixing whatever goes wrong) tells me that it should be replaced... is this correct, and if so at what mileage should uit have been done. how much does it cost roughly and can anyone recomend someone in the se that could help? i normally do all my own mechanics so will probably do it myself, but always handy to know of someone local thats comes highly recomended

will be sorting pics out at the weekend, and i'll add a couple of my day to day toy, my bravo aswell

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Newbie alert

Hello and welcome to AO.
AO Gold Member
County: South Africa

Member car:

V6 Sportswagon

Hi Any,
Welcome to AO
Enjoy the site
Post any questions on your car in the 155 tech section, they should be able to help you faster

AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

Welcome to AO.

Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

Hi Andy, congrats on the 155 , great price on her , enjoy the site
AO Member

What's the interior like Andy? I had a 155 as a courtesy car and it was just like the Fiat Uno Turbo I had a few years back. Plasticy and very rattly. The engine felt exactly like my 156 though maybe a bit looser and quicker. The general refinement on the 156 is light years ahead of the 155 though. My 156 has done 60000+ and still nothing rattles or squeaks.
Enjoy it - at least you can thrash the nuts off it and if you blow it up you've only lost £400 - I'd change that belt though if you can be bothered. I bet it's a fiddly job.
Mark Alfa

Hello and welcome to AO Andy
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 12-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

cheers for the wlecome guys

Dave, the interior ahs a few rattles, but ive owned fiat for the last 4 years so im kind of used to it in all honesty.. if it didnt rattle i would worry whats going to unexpectdley fall off!

ill get some pics of her at the weekedn before i take her off the road, but my thinking atm is for a track car with the possibility of racing her year after that, so 2 years time, but that will depend on possibe residulas as stock no 1, and no 2 what tuning parts are available, not had a chance to look around yet for things like cams and manifolds etc

hiya and welcome to AO...

all the best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alert , newbie