Newbie looking for a 164 V6-24 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Newbie looking for a 164 V6-24

Hi everyone

I'm looking forward to learning from the community and contributing when I've got something qualified to say!!!

So I'm new to the forum but not Alfa's. My quick history - not many cars but Alfa has always remained in my blood

Basically I had a '94 model facelift met blue 164 TS Super back in '95 and then a 156. The 164 was a bargain at the time, bought it from BCA Blackbushe, only a year old so 2 years warranty remaining. I had just decided to ditch company cars and went to the auction looking for something safe like a 3 series. I had a 10k budget but the sad and tired 316's and 318's within budget were depressing, in solid colours such as traffic-stained-off-white (hmmm, nice!), 3+ years old, no radio even half the time. Maybe another company Cavalier wasn't so bad, why complain at someone throwing yet another new car at me?!

Then I went on walk about in amongst teh hundreds of other cars I'd bypassed previously and saw this 164, looking as new with 9.5k miles. An elderly chap got chatting with me and his story of his 164 cloverleaf, how he loved it, never let him down etc. I said, great. but I can't afford this - look at it!

Anyway I inspected it thoroughly, heard her start up, and went into the hall. It turns out that half way through the day Fiat & Alfa hold a special auction once a month, somebody from head office was on the podium as well, and instant decisions could be made on below reserve cars. There were about 100 Fiat Group cars for sale, wide bodied 155's, 145/6, Brava's (i bought a 1.4SX for the wife from BCA soon after (TOTAL HEAP OF ****, not the example I bought, they were all like that, worst car ever made!), Bravos, etc

Anyway, i digress, so auctioneer says "who will start me at 12 (k)?.......... 10?? ....... 8??? Bidding starts, just two trade peeps from what I could tell looking from the back of the hall , running out at 9.5k, then I stepped in last second, other guy puts in one more bid and I got it for 10k ..... but reserve not met .

But all ok, Alfa man says price is good enough (and zero buyers fee back then!) I felt on cloud nine walking up to the podium to pay a deposit, trying to style it out and not trip over with the elation. I couldn't believe I would be going home in a virtually new best looking exec car, with warranty - and the drive back was amazing.

I ran the car for three years, only two faults with it the whole time. The receiver for the remote was faukty and changed under warranty (they changed the whole light unit/receiver and issued new fobs). And of course the alloy wing mirror mounts corroded.

My brother in law then bought it off me and ran it for many years but ran it into the ground but then traded in for at Alfa GT, so he just about redeemed himself

I loved my 164 but fell in love with the looks of the 156 and bought a new 2.0TS in silver with red leather from Holland in exact UK spec. I then changed jobs after 1 year and HAD to take a company car. ARRRRGGHHHH - I had to sell the 156 at a huge loss (even with the Dutch discount vs UK) and I hardly got time to enjoy it properly. The 156 was a good car but for various reasons I didn't miss it in quite the same way as the 164.

Then the company I worked for changed the rules, private cars were an option but I needed an estate. The 156 SW was too small so a succession on A6's and BMW's followed. A6's, even in quattro V6's were so dull to drive, no steering or chassis feel, bouncy ride, felt every pebble you went over yet rolled on corners like a barge. How did they manage to combine the worst of everything? My last car sold last week, was a '58 530d mSport. Awesome car actually (have to say all the 5's I had were great drivers) and I was really sad the day after I sold it, odd because I didn't feel emotionally attached when I owned it. I think we've all been through that with an ex or two!

So I'm now w/o wheels at all now and wanting a 164 again. There's a beautiful V6-24 Auto Super for sale on the bay for 4.5k, black with black leather, 55k miles. I have no idea how to value this car. The guides say 1000 but are not much use me thinks for rarities like this. I do need to think about not loosing a small fortune should my circumstances change again and I need for example to sell after a year or two, so what is a fair price for both parties?

Last edited by Fezzamtc; 11-07-14 at 22:54. Reason: extra info
Sponsored Links
County: Cork
Welcome to AO Adriano, hopefully you'll soon be an Alfa owner again
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Hi Adriano waving great intro enjoy the site!
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 12-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks both. Yeah I thought I'd make an effort with the history leading up to why I'm after a 164. I've been looking at totally left field cars as I anticipate doing low mileage for the foreseeable future so don't mind sacrificing economy for example. So Porsche 928, BMW M3 E46, MB SL500 R129, Maser 3200GT. But a V6 164 is top of my list If anyone knows of a good one for sale within the club please let me know.
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome To‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░O░W░N░E░R░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

'54 3.2 GT

Welcome Fezzam, loving your taste in cars! I wish you luck in finding the right 164.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 19-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Sorry been offline for bit, cheers for the welcome SCGT and 911jon. I've now been to see two cars but am a bit disillusioned
The good news is although it's 16 years since I owned and last drove one, the two I looked at drove great and I was impressed as to how good the handling and engines still feel. But the bodywork has been my disappointment. Not rust but dents and the accumulation of 20 years worth of other doors being flung against the sides. I was naive and wasn't ready for the shock! Trouble is, for me the flanks are so important on a 164. That wedge shape and the creases down the sides ARE the car. Looks like it's going to take a miracle to find an almost dent free example. Unless someone out there knows of one??!! As I'm totally without my own wheels (even my Yamaha Fizzy is dead at the moment!) I'm going to have to get an interim car and treat the 164 search as long term. I guess I should have realised and planned on this in the first place ...... hindsight, eh
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome :wave:
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 28-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Greener. But all that Chelski stuff ..... very bad!! Gooners Forever

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

164 , newbie , v624