Oggy_GTA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

Oggy_GTA

Wave Oggy_GTA

Your Forum name Oggy_GTA

Real name Paul

Age 43

Occupation Senior Analyst Programmer for a software house

Lives Uttoxeter, Staffordshire

Marital Status Happily married … but would sell at the right price!

which cars do you drive and why?

156 GTA – Buying new it was a lot of money, but where else can you buy the style and sensations for so little – ok, apart from a half-price second hand one! Doh!

Renault Megane 1.9DCi (120 bhp) – as soon as I saw this car I knew it would be perfect for the missus : second hand, big arse and the word “KOW” in the number plate – thankfully she’s not made the connection yet! Only kidding, she’s lovely … and the missus ain’t bad either!

Are you a real passionate for Alfa Romeo? No, I wouldn’t go that far, but I’m finding it hard to get excited about any other marque – well, with the exception of Ferrari … and Maserati.

What or how started your passion for Alfa Romeo and…
….do you think it’s fundamental to own one to have the passion?

Around 1995 I drove a 164 around Millbrook’s Alpine course and was so disappointed by the creaky dash and dodgy switchgear (this was a new car?). I loved the engine note, but nothing else. A few years later a colleague and I were up for new company cars, so we test drove all the cars we could think of for less than £25k. He eventually had a Lexus IS200 ‘cos of the comfort/equipment levels, I had the Alfa 156 2.0 TS SP2 ‘cos it was so much better than my previous experience of Alfas… and how!

In my case, I instantly “got” what the 156 was all about – I’ve now owned two including the fantastic GTA – but I remain to be convinced about the previous generation cars.

Would you ever consider joining an Alfa Club or are you already a member of one?
Was a member of UK AROC for 2 years, but reading AO forums has given me 10 times the information I’ve sought in only a week.

What do you like most about Alfas?
The combination of style, handling and performance.

What do you like least about Alfas?
Depreciation.

What would be your dream cars?
1) Ferrari 360 Spider, 2) Maserati Spyder, 3) Brera 3.2 Spider (mind you, I hate spiders!)

What car would you least like to drive?
I once drove an FSO Polonez 1.5 - nightmares ever since! Almost as bad as when I took a Daewoo Matiz around Millbrook’s Alpine course! Stop laughing!

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?
Driving to Italy over the Alps, in a Brera Spider with Katie Melua to look lovely and sing a tune or two, going to pick up my knew 8C – I’d have to gag her on the way back ‘though. Sorry Katie, you’re a babe and ya sing pretty good, but this is proper in-car entertainment!

Any humorous Alfa or car-related stories you wish to share with us?
In my old Calibra 4x4 Turbo I once raced an Omega for 10 miles down a very (then) quiet A50 at ludicrous speeds (PM me for the figures!) and was well impressed with the staying power of the other driver, only to be stopped by the policewoman in the Omega when we reached Uttoxeter! That was the “third licence she’d taken that day”! Doh and double Doh!
However, I got the last laugh – I was banned for 3 weeks over the Christmas/New Year festivities – result! Never been ****ed so many times since I was a student!

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?
In no particular order, walking, internet gaming (fps), reading, birdwatching, films, building PCs, guitar, golf, playing with myself and strangling small animals. Ok, I lied about the golf.

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (E.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)
I was on BBC Midlands Today once around 1980, I think, the Lombard RAC Rally was going through Trentham Gardens – I was the pratt standing on the track taking a photo of an oncoming Lotus Sunbeam! Henri Toivonen, IIRC.

Do you have a party trick? If so what is it?
None that I can recall … aren’t those the best sort of parties?

What do you like most about the Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, episodes or people?
It’s great to see so many like minded, friendly people in one place – and so many GTA owners too!

If you had £50,000 you had to spend in 72 hours, how would you choose to spend it?
Fly to the French Riviera and hire out the most expensive yacht I could find and party on, dudes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage
Re: Oggy_GTA

Quote:
and strangling small animals.
Watch out mikebrown!!!

Nice interview mate, thanks for sharing it with us!
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Nice one! Congrat's Oggy. Just watch out for all those jealous types with the flashing blue lights!
Oggy_GTA

Cheers, guys.

Policewomen, spiders and small animals - I love them all really

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Thanks for sharing that Oggy, great write up
EddieGTA

Nice one, and good choice of car

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
oggygta