Alfasud Giardinetta Orphan in the United States! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-14 Thread Starter
County: California
Alfasud Giardinetta Orphan in the United States!

Hi Folks!

I have joined this Forum because I am the proud owner of a New (to me) 1978 Alfasud Giardinetta Series II "Estate" wagon here in the United States. The car is the original orange color named "Bruno Cilento" by Alfa on the exterior and the interior color is "tabacco" brown. The bodywork and paint have been done to a ridiculously high standard at considerable expense by the previous owner and the car also features a very late 1995 1.5 liter hydraulic lifter engine coupled to a NOS late model Ti 5-speed transaxle.

We never got the redoubtable Alfasud here in the USA - nor any of it's many variants. Although the Alfasud was Type Certified for sale here and three early prototypes underwent and passed the Mandatory Government Tests - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA Active Crash Tests), Department Of Transportation (DOT Static Crash Tests) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA Emissions Tests) - in the end the good folks at Alfa Romeo decided to never import the front wheel drive Alfas here.

As such my Giardinetta is pretty much an "Orphan" car here in the USA - it seems to be the only one of it's kind in the Country and has zero support from the Usual Suspects of Parts Suppliers here.

I have had and still have a number of Giuliettas and Giulias all my life and am pretty much familiar with their various systems having restored more then my share of them - but the World of the Alfasud is entirely new to me, and I hope I will not be bothering you Good Folks on this Forum with my very basic questions about the car from time to time. Finding information about this particular car is proving to be very hard compared to the ease with which Giulietta and Giulia Information is available in the USA, and it seems that I will need to somehow source some Microfiche Parts Catalogs because my car is a later Series II model, and there are a huge number of "niggling" differences between the Series II and the Series I cars. I have a 1975 printed Parts catalog and that is some help, but for the real details on the mechanicals and drivetrain and parts numbers so far I am having little success in finding true data.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and my "Orphan" car to the Forum body, and I ask your indulgence in advance if I ask some very basic questions about it in the future.

I will try to attach a few photos of the car as I bought it. In the background of some pics can be seen another one of my Alfas - a 1967 Giulia Super Carrozzeria Colli "Promiscua" station wagon (Estate) that I finished a total "ground-up" restoration of last year.

Happy Motoring Folks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #1.jpg (125.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #2.jpg (128.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #4.jpg (129.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #5.jpg (128.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #7.jpg (137.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Alfasud Wagon #11.jpg (124.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
welcome to AO Dave Check out our Classic tech section.
County: Cork
Welcome to AO Dave, nice collection you've got
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome To‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░O░W░N░E░R░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfasud , giardinetta , orphan , states , united