156 GTA Selespeed trouble, HEEELP ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

156 GTA Selespeed trouble, HEEELP !

Hello Everybody,

I am new at the forum, but there seems to be a loot of GTA owners here, so maybe someone could kindly offer me some advice in this matter.

I am a happy owner (until now) of an Alfa 156 GTA SW selespeed -03 (silver color).
The car has done 103 000 km. I am located in Switzerland, and have bought it second hand. I have been doing 40 000 km in it and it has worked like a dream. Fridays and weekends are spent embarrassing BMW owners in traffic lights and around the mountain passes :-). The selespeed has been a blessing around serpent roads in the mountains, but I’m afraid that the blessing turned into a curse right now.

I had a big service along with a cam belt change made at 100 000 km (better too soon than to late). The 3 –year warranty as also ironically passed last August, so now I fear that I will have to face an astronomical repair bill by myself.

Recently the gearbox has been playing the following tricks on me.
It sometimes refuses to engage reverse. You can hear that it tries to engage gear, and the reverse lights even flashes, but then it goes back to neutral.
It in possible to drive forward, but it only changes between 1-3 and 5. Gear no 2 and 4 normally refuses. Changing to “city” mode does no difference. When I reach motorway speed, it is possible to change into gear no 6.
It also feels like that the changes also are slower than normal.

When the car does the automatic down change (at the lower gear limit), it doesn’t feel very smooth. There is a slight “clunking” sound and feeling. This also happens when gear 2 is working.

The problem is getting more and more frequent. Can it have something to do with the car being recently serviced (by an authorized Alfa dealer that has done a good job up till now)? They may accidentally have disturbed a connector or something.
The pump is running for around 15 sec, when I open the door.
The battery voltage is 12.7 with the engine turned off. There is no malfunction warning on the rev counter.

Does anybody recognize these symptoms? Pleas help with advice if you can, I need to get my Bella to normal…….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: 156 GTA Selespeed trouble, HEEELP !

Hi GTAMM and welcome to AO

You may want to try posting this question in the GTA technical lounge as it is more likely to be read by someone who can help. Good luck
mikebrown

welcome to AO dude

Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Welcome to AO

I'd follow lynnb's advice, I am sure someone will be able to help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
156 , gta , heeelp , selespeed , trouble