Vintage Parts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 18-09-06 Thread Starter

Vintage Parts

I have started a long journey to restore an old 1959 Alfa 2000 Spider (Iron Block). I have the engine dismantled and started searching for bearings. and engine gasket set. Most of the threads seem to be directed toward the newer AR's , however, I hope that someone on the forum will have an interest in the older Alfa's. Any help or suggestions from the forum members concerning sources for these hard to get parts would be appreciated.

Pete Rowe
Midlothian Texas 76065
Cell 214 415 4630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Vintage Parts

HI and welcome to AO.
Good luck with the Spider.
AO Member

Hi 19Spider59,

I'm interessted in older Alfas, and in fact had a -59 Touring Spider, just like yours. It was an import from Florida, and looked just fine, exept no floor. I never got it on the road, and sold it to Stavanger (West in Norway). I heard that he got it running, but never fixed the floor and paint. I don't have any clue where to look for parts, but it should be possible to find. I know the carburators are the same as 190 SL, so parts for those should be easy.

-- Gopp
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Welcome.

I can't guarantee they'll have the parts you are looking for but the first two places to start looking are International Auto Parts and Centreline Alfa. Both are based in the U.S.

There are other suppliers Stateside as well and rather than me trying to post a complete list here (that may or may not be helpful to you) there is a thread on American-based classic Alfa forum, AlfaBB.com, that should steer you in the right direction.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 19-09-06 Thread Starter

Thanks Toronto. That is exactly the kind of help I need.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 19-09-06 Thread Starter

Thanks for you help. I took your advise, called a place in California that understood the 190 deal and I now have repair kits for my Solex's on the way. Thanks again for the helpful info.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Alfa All Parts or one of the others in California? Just curious.

Glad to be of assistance.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 20-09-06 Thread Starter

I haven't connected with Alfa All Parts. I will try to find them on the internet. As a result of your suggestion I worked the internet and found a firm with the name "Carb ReFactory". They understood the 190SL connection and said they could furnish the necessary parts to repair my Solex PHH 44. Same setup as my 1959 Spider. I am very pleased that you understood the connection. Thank you, once again.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Well that's a new company on me, but I'm glad you found what you were looking for.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Spider59
I haven't connected with Alfa All Parts. I will try to find them on the internet. As a result of your suggestion I worked the internet and found a firm with the name "Carb ReFactory". They understood the 190SL connection and said they could furnish the necessary parts to repair my Solex PHH 44. Same setup as my 1959 Spider. I am very pleased that you understood the connection. Thank you, once again.
Glad to help. I hope you are able to find parts for the rest of the engine.

-- Marius (gopp)
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 23-09-06 Thread Starter

Things are starting to happen. John, the UPS man, brought the Solex carb kits from Carb ReFactory today. I have the carbs broken down and have been phasing them through a small tumbler, cleaning the many, many,many parts. Additionally, I have made contact with Christian Ondrak, who owns a parts house in Munich Germany, and he has the rings, bearings and engine gasket set that I need. I am being very careful to measure the crank, in respect to what size bearings (after grinding) that I need, in order to furnish Christian (OPK) (www.okparts.com)) good information. I will report as the log jams continue to break. In the meantime, I continue to beadblast and clean. PS Carried the radiator to a repair place yesterday. They will have it ready Monday. The radiator wasn't leaking. I asked them to remove the caps, rod out the capillary tubes, and do not paint. My hope is that there will some nice looking brass underneath the black paint. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
mikebrown

welcome to AO dude

Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Hi there welcome to the party

Do post pics when the restoration's finished (or even before)!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
parts , vintage