156 2.5V6 (2001) - no revs between 5000-7000 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-09-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.5V6

Not Happy 156 2.5V6 (2001) - no revs between 5000-7000

Hello all - new to the forum and looking for help - does anybody have any different ideas?

Just joined the forum and living in Dubai, so Alfa boffins are like pork chops here! I have had the car for couple of years and it has never accelerated cleanly above 5000 rpm (it used to go upto 6500) similar to others reporting the same. At 60,000 km, Alfa changed all the belts and when I picked it up, it was worse. They took it back and said it was the knock sensors faulting. It was slightly better, but still worse than before I took it in. They had it back and apparently changed the MAF slight improvement.

I have read many of the discussions on-line yesterday and today and did the following;

Reset the ECU no help
Cleaned the MAF and throttle body (carefully without moving it with carb cleaner), and it revs freely for about 5 minutes whilst driving, then back to the same.
Disconnected the MAF, and the engine revs cleanly whilst stationary to 7000 rpm, but when I drive it, I cannot select any gears manually, and it drives very slowly in D. Reconnect, only revs to 5500 stationary drives the same as before upto 5500 rpm.
Visual check of air system pipes seems to be OK

Gut feel is that the MAF is faulty but why did it work for about 5 minutes (twice) ?: mad:

Taking it back to Alfa tomorrow so they can check the lambda sensor, but I am running out of ideas, and not so sure they know how to fix it. Price of a MAF is 320 here and I cannot buy on eBay as PayPal does not work here.

If any body has any helpful tips, would appreciate a line.

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: 156 2.5V6 (2001) - no revs between 5000-7000

welcome to AO dude...yep i reckon ur right...a new MAF

all the best

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-09-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.5V6

Re: 156 2.5V6 (2001) - no revs between 5000-7000

Cheers Mike,

As fate would have it - this morning car was normal - CRAP. This afternoon, ran like a dream all the way to the garage - kind of spooky as if it knew it had been bad. The lad ran the diagnostics and it faulted MAF - intermittent, knock sensor - intermittent (but probably related to the MAF) and two other minor faults.

He thinks it the MAF, so will get one from UK on next trip.

Oh the joys of motoring !!

Cheers,
Mark

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
156 , 2001 , revs