Let me entertain you - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Let me entertain you

Good afternoon everybody

I have just bought a 13 month old 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Manuel , of cause i was nervous buying a Alfa, everybody i asked (top tip: don't ask) said Nooooo never ever buy a Alfa, reliability, disastrous deprecation, rust mare, mare , mare so guess what? I bought it. just hope I don't get a sequence of told you sooo's. I've called her Bella, so far she's gorgeous. Took het to the Goodwood revival last weekend a top hoot, of cousre it's Alfa Red, Red or dead i say, it goes like schtink and sounds gorgeous, bought with a full Autodelta quad exhaust fitted (which is nice). Only thing i note, and this surprises me as the brake callipers are HUGE is the sponginess & travel of the brake pedal. I checked out Autodelta and they want £672 OUCH to upgrade discs, pads & hoses is there another way? different supplier? anybody else think the same or is it just a "characteristic" that this Italian baby has? please advise, I look forward to speaking to y'all soon. Audi/BMW/VW drivers just don't get it do they! it's about passion not repetitiveness of the same same .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Re: Let me entertain you

Welcome to AO, sounds like you're smitten
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well Happy Re: Let me entertain you

Very much so, they went into the wlderness for a few years, but they have so much spirit, I've had a succession of BMW all dull, brilliant, but dull and uninvolving, I bought a 2.5 GTV as my 2nd car back in the mid eighties, when I drove the GTA it took me right back. marvellous it is
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Wave Re: Let me entertain you

Hello there !!
AO Silver Member

Welcome,

sounds very much like you're here for good - the virus bites and bites hard...

The GTA brakes are fine in there own right - but get the hoses seen too before you think about calipers or pads/discs. They have no problem pulling up a 156GTA (0 to 100 to 0 time was about 19 seconds), so they grip well.

I did the hoses on my 156GTA and it made a noticable difference, also your brake fluid may be due for a change especially if it's been used hard...

Simes...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Hi,

From what some of the guys on here who have 147 GTA's there was a problem with the brakes and there was a dealer upgrade available. Might not be relevant for your car but it may well be so worth looking into. I'm sure some of the other GTA owners will fill you in in more detail.

Glad you like it

Sean
(Post Link) post #7 of 28 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes I think i might be, Need to get some track days in too, but brakes need sorting, fade seems quite ominous, I'll change hoses as you suggest, thanks, BTW what ones did you fit and where did you get them from. Many thanks again Rob
(Post Link) post #8 of 28 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hmmm interesting, I know they upgraded the pee-wee 305mm discs to a more meaty 330mm ventilated, pinched from the Ferrari parts bin apparently, imagine having access to that I'll ask though, this is one of the very last, so i'd guess that all recalls have been done, but this is Fiat of course
Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Hi mate, welcome to the forum and great car you got
AO Silver Member

County: -

Hi Baron, you could try the cheap fix first and get the fluid changed and the system bled....the car might have done track days and experienced boiled fluid at some point. After this cross-drilled discs and DS2500 pads....
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Red_Baron

I have just bought a 13 month old 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Manuel
Is that the rare Spanish version?

Welcome

wrinx

mikebrown

welcome to AO dude

(Post Link) post #13 of 28 Old 09-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

I just like to say thanks you for such a warm welcome, I did own several BMW for a while and tagged onto the BM3W owners site, I bit to much oneupmanship for me, I hope to meet some AO soon, do you have pub meets etc?
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Hello and welcome
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Quote:
I just like to say thanks you for such a warm welcome, I did own several BMW for a while and tagged onto the BM3W owners site, I bit to much oneupmanship for me, I hope to meet some AO soon, do you have pub meets etc?
We seem to be moving a bit more in that direction, a few of us are starting to meet up regularly at various events and we even staged a Track Day at Croft near Darlington last weekend which had a really good attendance, check out the 'Just Images' Forum for threads relating to this.

Unregistered

Hi there !!

Ask your local tyre fitters to check the disc's are not damaged or warped, and get them to bleed the old brake fluid and replace...and get them to re-surface the pads....much cheaper option.

Chris
AO Member

Hello Herr von Richtofen!

And Welcome on board.

Enjoy then enthousiasm of great Afla owners on thi site you may rnjoy it a lot an find lots of tips to make you love your Bella even more.

By the way congratulation for your fantastic car. It is the ultimate 147 and having it in Rosso Red makes it even more desirable. I am quite jealous because the only 147 GTAs has can have are the quite much smaller (See pictures).

But anyway don't forget to take some shots of your supermodel upload them on the the dream gallery.

All the Best

Fabrice

When everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong...
...or absolutely right!
(Post Link) post #18 of 28 Old 11-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Bonjour mon ami,
Moi Bella elle est parfait, I shall take some sexy shots of my Bella, I hope your 147 grows into a full size super model soon, I'm taking her to France 74soon, I have a Ski appartment in Samoens nr Flaine, can't wait to get her on those snowy mountain roads , I go over the Jura mountains and drop down into Geneve then aim for Chamonix, It's a stunning and testing drive.....
happy man

Quote:
Welcome Herr Baron

Meets all over the place wish I'd found this site when I bought my first GTV.

147 GTA Top track tool your welcome at our next track day

AO Member

Quote:
Bonjour mon ami,
Moi Bella elle est parfait, I shall take some sexy shots of my Bella, I hope your 147 grows into a full size super model soon, I'm taking her to France 74soon, I have a Ski appartment in Samoens nr Flaine, can't wait to get her on those snowy mountain roads , I go over the Jura mountains and drop down into Geneve then aim for Chamonix, It's a stunning and testing drive.....
Excellent choice for a proper test driving my Friend

But as you are probably aware, just be careful with my compatriots they may not be as respectful with your Bella as Brits in general. So just avoid parking close toany cars already covered with dents (this is a good indication, in general, whether the owner will treat appropriately the vehicles around )

Apart from that, I am sure your will grnuily enjoy French roads. They are a real delight for a good ride.

All the Best!!!

Fabrice
(Post Link) post #21 of 28 Old 12-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

French roads are truly wonderful, (esp in the mountains ) La Gendarmerie are getting tougher though, but only on the main Peage routes, I have suffered in France, A previous car was a S2000 and whilst Skiing in Chamonix some "nice people" (probably english) Cut the whole roof off, jemmied the glove box open, popped the boot and stole all our Ski gear this was the only act of violence I've suffered and i've driven all over most of europe, strangely people are very respectful of nice cars, had more dents and dings given to me in GB than anywhere else in Europe.
(Post Link) post #22 of 28 Old 12-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Warning Re: Let me entertain you

Hi Happy man, Many thanks, I do indeed intend to do some track days, I'd like to do Donington & Brands, Spa & Nurbergring
happy man

Quote:
Hi Happy man, Many thanks, I do indeed intend to do some track days, I'd like to do Donington & Brands, Spa & Nurbergring
Only novice but I've got the bug

AO Member

Quote:
French roads are truly wonderful, (esp in the mountains ) La Gendarmerie are getting tougher though, but only on the main Peage routes, I have suffered in France, A previous car was a S2000 and whilst Skiing in Chamonix some "nice people" (probably english) Cut the whole roof off, jemmied the glove box open, popped the boot and stole all our Ski gear this was the only act of violence I've suffered and i've driven all over most of europe, strangely people are very respectful of nice cars, had more dents and dings given to me in GB than anywhere else in Europe.
Hi Red Baron,

Sorry for your S2000, I guess this is the worse nightmare for every soft top convertible driver (That's why when my other car is a convertible with an hard top).

Regarding the acts of vandalism, I must admit you are right: French people intends to respect nice cars in general. But not everywhere in France, unfortunately.

As I spent ca. 20 years of my life in Paris, I know this very well from experience.
For instance, My Dad's Alfa (A 156 Sportwagon in Rosso Red) has been damaged to the extreme and most of the time when the poor innocent car was simply parked. The guilty and unrespectful buggers make day after day me old man more depressed about his car, What a shame!!!

Fabrice
AO Member

Quote:
...If you go to the Nürburgring say hello to Sabine (previously seen twice of Top Gear TV) from me

Fabrice

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
entertain