New member yet to buy a 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

mikestainton1

New member yet to buy a 156

Hello all,
New to the site and new to the world of Alfa, so please be gentle.
Having recently discovered we're expecting our first baby, it's time to ditch the Peugeot 306 convertible that we've really enjoyed for the last few years, and get a car that is a little more 'practical' and 'sensible'...but we're loathe to give up on keeping a driver's car; seems a 156 might be a truly viable option, the best of both worlds between practicality and fun, responsive motoring. Specifically I'm steering towards a SportWagon 2.4 JTD. What do people think of that?
So I guess my questions are:
1) What is the general consensus on the best all-round engine? JTD or TwinSpark? Is the JTD reliable & economical?
2) Have those who own a SportWagon had a good ownership experience?
3) What are the key things I need to look out for when looking around for 5 - 7 year old cars?

Be grateful for any advice and tips you guys might be able to offer.

Cheers
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: New member yet to buy a 156

Good morning mikestainton1.

This is only my second week of life in Alfa land, so am not experienced enough to give any hard and fast advice.

However, I have just bought a 156 sportwagon myself and have to say I have fallen madly in love with her already!

Quote:
1) What is the general consensus on the best all-round engine? JTD or TwinSpark? Is the JTD reliable & economical?
I wouldnt have a clue, but I bought the 2.0 twinspark and yesterday we took her down to Southampton for a bit of blast for the first time and she didnt consume any more fuel than I would have thought sensible. ( It's a journey we have made many times in many different cars over the years). Nicely comfortable and nothing fell off.....not that I noticed anyhow

Quote:
2) Have those who own a SportWagon had a good ownership experience?
As I've said, I've only had her a week, so it's too early to tell, but so far I'm feeling as though it's one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. Frankly, at this stage I don't know how I've managed to get to 44 and to not have owned an Alfa sooner.

Quote:
3) What are the key things I need to look out for when looking around for 5 - 7 year old cars?
Mmmmmh, a little more difficult for me to help, but coincidentally my SW is exactly five years old so maybe if I just list the things I got for my money then this may help when shopping around yourself.

I bought her from an Alfa main dealer.
Priced at 6995.
Sold for 5800.
Cambelt service and a years tax thrown in. Although I had to pay 125towards cost of cambelt.
30,000 miles.
One owner from new.
Full Alfa service history. All works carried out by the same dealer.
Mint mint mint condition! Clearly cherished by previous owner.
Momo leather interior.
Nuvola blue paint job. Unmarked....ish.
Roof bars, nice hi-fi, side skirts.

I think I probably paid a fair price although I dont think I could have got as much luxury in such good condition for the money with any other maker.

I watched a repeat of a Top gear programme a couple of nights back and Clarkson said something along the lines of........owning an Alfa is like spending your whole life in contorted pain interspersed with moments of pure Nirvana, but you're not a real petrol head until you've owned one....or something like that.

I hope he's exaggerating.

I fear he's not.

Anyway enough of this chatting I need to wash and wax the car! We're off to Newquay on saturday and A man and his family needs to look as though they appreciate the little bit of class under their arse

Bear.
Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Hi mate, welcome to the forum
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Welcome to AO
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Hello
AO Silver Member

Well Happy Re: New member yet to buy a 156

Hi and welcome to AO
AO Member

I've had a JTDm 1.9 for almost one year and drove close to 8k miles. I enjoy it as much as when I first drove it leaving the dealership.
The engine is reliable, frugal (I normaly get 46miles/galon) and whilst you certainly are able to tell it's a Diesel (80 mph @ 2,250 rpm is a give away ), that is different from saying you are continuously aware that you are driving a Diesel. It has incredible torque and pulls effortlessly through the gears and when driving on motorways the engine noise is minimal.
This is my first Diesel and I wonder why it took me so long to get one. To make best use of the engine you should keep it between 2k rpm and 4k rpm, which is somehow equivalent to the 3k rpm to 6k tpm on a petrol engine, given the lower max rev's.
It certainly is not as smooth as a petrol engine, but when I think about the 46 mpg and hear the turbo woosh, I sincerely think it was the right choice.

Marcus BR
mikebrown

welcome to AO dude

AO Member

Hello Mike!

And Welcome on board.

Enjoy then enthousiasm of great Afla owners!

All the Best

Fabrice

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
156 , buy , member

« newbe | ciao »