Nightmare scenario - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 30-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Not Happy Nightmare scenario

where do i start - two weeks ago I was driving on a dual carriagway overtaking a vehicle when my engine failed - slight loss of power, immediately started making loud knocking noise and coasted to a stop - called AA towed me home - called AA a couple of days later to tow me to Alfa dealer in sheffield (Autoworld) . Bought car from said Alfa dealer september last year 02 reg 23000 miles full alfa service record also paid 390 for 1 year RAC 5 * warranty - current mileage 35384. Initial contact with Autoworld said that damage was serious and would require a new engine. They contacted RAC who asked Automotive Consulting Engineers to access the damage and provide a component report. There was no sign of any problem with the car previous to the engine failure. The water and oil was checked regularly and on only one occasion was the oil below the required level and was topped up with about a litre.
Thre component report said that the no 2 big end bearings had picked up and spun on the crankshaft consistent with an interruption in the lubrication supply. I have been on a number of websites and this appears to a problem that has occurred in a large number of alfas. The engineer also made the following observation "it was noted whilst the costs for repair were being discussed that a modified dipstick was required. The repairer would not commit to the dipstick being incorrect for this engine, but said that the dipstick quoted is appropriate for the new engine. This would also lead us to consider that the engine has been run with an incorrect dipstick, which may have contributed to the evidence of low lubrication."
I have been back to the garage who said that they couldn't understand the issue about the dipstick. He said the modified dipstick wasn't an issue, it was something that was require in the new engine as it didn't come with a dipstick. The upshot of it all is that RAC will not accept a claim until they have proof of what caused the interruption in the oil supply. The garage says that this is the equivelant of finding a needle in a haystack. According to Autoworld this will leave me with a bill of over 3000!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: Nightmare scenario

firstly welcome to AO....sorry to hear of your problem, sounds like an absolute nightmare...never heard of a modified dipstick problem before...what engine do you have ? i have a 1.8ts 52 reg with a yellow plastic cloverleaf top

(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 30-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks Mike
Mine has a yellow plastic leaf top. It's a 1'8 ts

cheers jack
mikebrown

no worries dude

wrinx

Hi and welcome....sorry it has to be under such sad circumstances.

My advise is to get the RAC to prove their claims in front of the dealer's top technician. If the garage sold you a car with the wrong dipstick (unlikely!) then they and/or Alfa have a responsibility in all this.

If not, then the RAC need to pay up. I'm not a fan of aftermarket warranties for exactly this reason, they will try and wriggle out of anything!

Sorry, but the reason sounds like a crock to me!

wrinx

(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 30-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

thanks wrinx
I agree- however I've heard that alfa customer sevice is the pits!!
AO Member

County: Scottish Borders

Not always from what i've heard, good ones do exist. Sounds like the RAC are wriggling - there is no way that this can be proven. I have never heard of a modded dipstick and the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 & 2.0 JTS are all fundamentally the same on the bottom end.

Sounds like bull, as finding the cause of the cause of engine failure sounds daft. The cause is what we should be at, main bearing failure. Replace!

Good luck with them mate
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Welcome to AO and good luck with your claim.
Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Hi joanjack, hope it gets sorted out soon!
AO Silver Member

Well Happy Re: Nightmare scenario

All the best joanjack and I hope this work out for you. please keep us informed of what happens, we are nosy like that
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Hi and welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
nightmare , scenario