moi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 27-08-06
Regional Representative
For the North West - AONW

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 Gus-power diseasel

moi

Your Forum name
Acapulco Al

Real name
Alan Simpson

Occupation
Alfa driver and Financial Adviser Extraordinaire

Lives
Just outside Manchester

Marital Status
Married to Kate for almost 4 years, daughter Holly 2 years old

which cars do you drive and why?
2005 156 2.0 JTS Veloce in Lipari Grey with grey Alfatex. Years of company cars had me itching for something with a bit of character. So when I went self-employed I wanted a family-size car that looked good and went a bit, nothing else ever really got a look in

Are you a real passionate for Alfa Romeo?
Not as knowledgeable or passionate as many on here but I’m learning fast!

What or how started your passion for Alfa Romeo and…
….do you think it’s fundamental to own one to have the passion?

Thanks go to Buck Bundy who I’ve known since I was about 4… He was into his Alfas when we were at school and his ultimate car at the time was a Sprint Cloverleaf. I had a girlfriend at Uni whose dad drove one and I sent Buck a piccie of me with it. Anyway, the father took me for a spin and I was quite simply blown away – I just thought it was the dog’s wobblies and easily the coolest car I’d ever been in! I then spent 15 years admiring Alfas from afar so yes you can be an Alfista without actually owning one

Would you ever consider joining an Alfa Club or are you already a member of one?

Considering joining AROC

What do you like most about Alfas?
The styling, they’re just so much cooler than anything else on the road this side of a Maser

What do you like least about Alfas?
The depreciation!!!

What would be your dream cars?
Hmmmm decisions decisions….

In no specific order: TVR Cerbera, 156 GTA, Audi RS4, V8 Vantage, Lambo Gallardo

What car would you least like to drive?
Simple – Citroen Xsara Picasso, the motoring equivalent of a vasectomy

For you, what’s the most popular thread on AO?
What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?

Most popular thread would have to be the Alfa wave thread, full of people talking about never having had the Alfa wave

Ideal drive would be round some Alpine twisties on a nice summer early morning in something like an F430 spider. No passengers, just me and the Prodigy's Fat of the Land album at full tilt

Any humorous Alfa or car-related stories you wish to share with us?

Co-driving my learner-driver mate round some local twisties when we were 17, racing another car – I was telling him which gear to be in & what speed to approach every bend/corner and we were making great progress. The first one I didn’t tell him about he oversteered straight across the road and into a stone wall at 50mph… Giving a statement to the police was a tea-party compared to telling his “Big Momma” mum that her car was dead!!!

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?
Music, geography, holidays and Liverpool FC

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (E.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)
I’d love to tell you all about how I can fart the French National Anthem whilst standing on my head….. …but I’d only be lying!

Do you have a party trick? If so what is it?

Farting the German National Anthem whilst standing upright

What do you like most about the Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, episodes or people?

Everybody’s a friendly lot and (so far!) nobody’s taken the p!ss out of me for knowing nowt about car mechanicals

If you had £50,000 you had to spend in 72 hours, how would you choose to spend it?

On women, booze & fast cars. The rest I would just squander ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 27-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

Holden Commodore

Re: moi

A Financial Advisor who owns an Alfa? I think you need to see a Financial Advisor.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 27-08-06
Regional Representative

Member car:

159 Gus-power diseasel

Originally Posted by Geno68
A Financial Advisor who owns an Alfa? I think you need to see a Financial Advisor.
haha get this - my ACCOUNTANT had 2 156 twinnies before he succumbed to the dark side of mathematics and got a 320d How sad am I, I even chose my accountant on the grounds of him being an Alfista
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 28-08-06
Global Mod Team

County: Milano

Member car:

ex 147 2.0 Selespeed

Thanks for sharing this Al and do work on your anthem farting skills
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 29-08-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

Originally Posted by BigFoot
Thanks for sharing this Al and do work on your anthem farting skills
Yes, great interview, just make sure you don't follow-through
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 02-09-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Cloverleaf

Interesting stuff; but surely you're more likely to get the *155 taken out of you for living in Manchester whilst supporting Liverpool
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 03-09-06
mikebrown

nice one

#8 (Post Link)  
Old 03-09-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg
Interesting stuff; but surely you're more likely to get the *155 taken out of you for living in Manchester whilst supporting Liverpool
I don't think it's the *155 that will be taken out of him, more likey blood and guts
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 04-09-06
Regional Representative

Member car:

159 Gus-power diseasel

Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg

i lap it up, the more they have a dig at me the more they admit their inferiority and paranoia any mention of the numbers 18 or 5 soon shuts them up
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

'08 159Ti & '73 2000GTV

Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL
i lap it up, the more they have a dig at me the more they admit their inferiority and paranoia any mention of the numbers 18 or 5 soon shuts them up
Nice interview Al.

We have the utmost respect for Liverpool's achievements. (Even that last flukey Champions league win. Surely those penalties should have been retaken after Dudek dived 6 yards forwards? ....go on bite ya bugga!!! I'm ashamed to admit that we were on holiday at the time and after LMAO at half time in the end I was rooting for you after Gerrard's goal got you back in it in the second half God help me and NEVER tell my father!)

As for coming to live over in the Holy land, you are very welcome too! Actually, it always makes us United fans smile when we hear yet another Liverpool fan phoning in after games from the M1, Cornwall or wherever when they all -media included -call us for not living in Manchester.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ti experience: Months- 66; Miles- 83k;MPG (best)- 49.4; (o/a)- 40.2; Front tyres - 16k (Conti's); 14k (Pirellis), 23k (Acceleras) Rears -30k,35k. Hunter Alignment 30.6k (recommended). Front discs, pads, lower n/s drop link @ 60k, Battery sudden death 62k/47mths; Steering reservoir fix £60; Cambelt/water pump & n/s upper b/j 70k. OSR door lock £38. 75k wiper motor. Rear discs,pads 78k. Reversing sensors 82k

6/9/12 New Mito 135MA Distinctive
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-06
Regional Representative

Member car:

159 Gus-power diseasel

Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
Nice interview Al.

We have the utmost respect for Liverpool's achievements. (Even that last flukey Champions league win. Surely those penalties should have been retaken after Dudek dived 6 yards forwards? ....go on bite ya bugga!!! I'm ashamed to admit that we were on holiday at the time and after LMAO at half time in the end I was rooting for you after Gerrard's goal got you back in it in the second half God help me and NEVER tell my father!)

As for coming to live over in the Holy land, you are very welcome too! Actually, it always makes us United fans smile when we hear yet another Liverpool fan phoning in after games from the M1, Cornwall or wherever when they all -media included -call us for not living in Manchester.
sadly it's the case that success brings glory-hunters from all over the place and we're getting more and more these days but hey-ho, footy's a money business now so if tarquin wants to come up from surrey with his wife & kids and spend £500 on sh*te in the club shop then so be it. god knows we need it to pay gerrard's wages
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 08-09-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

'08 159Ti & '73 2000GTV

So true.

But to fair, where is it written that you must come from an area to support a team? Today's glory-hunter could well be the dyed-in-the-wool lifetime fan in 25 years when the wheels have fallen off and the team has fallen on harder times.

Mostly (saddoes aside) the jibes are all pretty friendly stuff. E.G. I never have a go at a friend/colleague from Milton Keynes about Leeds Utd anymore as it just isn't right after what they went through.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 09-09-06
Regional Representative

Member car:

159 Gus-power diseasel

indeed jim, i know plenty of born-and-bred scousers who are (at best) part-time fans who think they've more right to be at anfield than joe bloggs who spends a fortune and abandons his family every other weekend to make the journey from wales/irleland/norway to see his beloved team. i know who i'd rather sit next to at anfield

sure there's plenty of once-a-year day-trippers from surrey but the vast majority of OOTers (out of towners) have as much right to be there as the locals

then again i've been going to anfield since i was 10 and spent many a year stood on the old kop and never heard a single word said against me for not being scouse. i think it's not so much about where you're from but the manner in which you support your team, the glory-seeking newbies are easily spotted (they're usually wearing chelsea shirts )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
moi

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2003 alfa romeo 147...
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS...
Alfa romeo 147 t...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT Jts...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 147 Gta 2014...

View Sam_clmnt's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?