Hello from OZ - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Holden Commodore

Hello from OZ

Our family is moving to Brussels for 3 years and we are considering rolling the dice and buying an Alfa in Belgium. I hope the Alfas on the continent are more reliable and better support is available than is the case here in Oz. The brand has coped a beating down here with horror reliability and build quality stories and pathetic dealer support.

I am looking at a 156 or a 166 and would prefer a non-selespeed manual with a V6 donk up the front. Am I right to guess that I can get into a nice 156 for less than 10000 euros? Would I then be able to get it remapped in the UK, should I feel the need for more horses?

Down here in Oz my standard Commodore is good for about 165kw with a fair bit of torque, so I want a reasonable amount of grunt so I don't get withdrawal symptons.

Any tips about buying an Alfa in Belgium or the continent would be welcome. I am looking forward to the higher speed limits as here in OZ the highest speed limit is a laughable 110km per hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Re: Hello from OZ

You can certainly get V6 156s and 166s in the UK for under £10,000 - but then that's about €15000. However, I'm sure they can be found for nearer your target price.

I'm not expert on remaps, but there's plenty of people on this forum who are!

Be aware that technically, the speed limit in most European countries isn't MUCH more (if at all) than 110kmh or 70mph. France has raised a lot of its motorway speed limits to 80mph (130kmh) and around half of the German motorway network is de-restricted. The UK speed limit is still 70mph/110kmh, although how rigidly that's policed depends on what motorway you're on and in what part of the country!

Hope you get an nice Alfa and enjoy your stay in Europe.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Re: Hello from OZ

Hi Geno68. Welcome to AO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself