Hello - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hello

Recently aquired my first Alfa (2000 156 veloce), so hoping I can pick up a few tips and headers on keeping it on the road.
Cheers
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Holden Commodore

Re: Hello

Can I ask how much you paid, where you bought it from and and the condition of the beast? I assume you are in the UK?
I am in Australia but am trying to figure out the price differential between UK and Oz with a view to possibly bringing one back to Oz in the next few years.

I hope the Alfa goes well for you. In Oz the brand has coped a beating due to shoddy finish and terrible dealer support. That said there is still a pretty solid core of Alfa lovers down here.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Crazed Re: Hello

Hi mate, Im in Northern Ireland and to be honest its been the same with dealerships and quality control here.However in the last few years there's been a definate improvement. I love the styling, the sound and the performance so just went out and got one. Paid 2950 ($7320 Australian) for a 2000 2.0 ts Veloce. In black with full history and in excellent condition. They can be picked up cheaper in England, but when you add up fuel,ferry etc and plus if something goes wrong the dealer wont be just 'up the road' in to account, then It was a reasonable price.The dealer himself has a good reputation and tells all about his cars.Not many give you the bad points aswell and point out any marks or scratches. He definately is one of a kind and thats shown with the repeat custom he gets.(Bit different from a spotty youth telling you everything you want to hear or blinding you with science). Will be getting it remapped, adding an extra few bhp, better torque and also changing the airfilter set up. I actually bought it for the missus...however any excuse i get Im out in it. Really enjoyable car to drive. Sort of wish I'd got one earlier now.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just to give you an idea mate, there was a nice 166 2.5 V6 in the autrotrader , 2000model I think, for around 3000 ($7500) with that nice flip paint, full history and only 50k miles on it.So they're out there!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 42
County: Antrim

Hi John

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Alfa. Is the dealer you're talking about an official Alfa dealer? Just curious as the Northern Ireland Italian motor club (www.niimc.net) have arranged discounts with MS in Belfast for parts and servicing.
AO Member

Member car:

Holden Commodore

Thanks for the info guys. Over here a decent 2001 model 156 is about 20,000 AUS (11,000 Euros or 8,000UK Pounds). Servicing costs are then horrendous so it looks like Alfa motoring is very cheap over there compared to here.
Of course fuel is more expensive but we are tax-exempt for fuel which should bring the price down. We also don't have to pay VAT so that should knock more off the purchase price as well assuming it applies to second hand cars
Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Welcome to the party John!
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Hi John. Welcome to AO.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, good job I'm not in OZ, seem to be paying a few dollars down there mate.Big Jon, no mate, just a guy who does a few cars from his home in Lisburn. He had another 156 in at the minute, however not sure of the spec.Can PM his details if you or someone else is interested.
Its just been serviced/MOT'd so shouldn't need too much at the minute.I am however going to have it remapped and change the airfilter set up. Although the car goes well, in my own personal opinion its not all it could be. Im going to iron out any deadspots or lull in performance really rather than have a boy racer special. But Im off to sunnier climes in a couple of days (Florida) so will have to wait untill I get back. Im lucky to be off work untill the end of September so plenty of time for 'fiddling about' Have checked the site out aswell Jon, I have a 04 Ulysee, a vespa and lambretta aswell, so might just pop up to a club meet sometime.
cheers
John

Last edited by john k; 15-08-06 at 21:38.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 42
County: Antrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k
Big Jon, no mate, just a guy who does a few cars from his home in Lisburn. He had another 156 in at the minute, however not sure of the spec.Can PM his details if you or someone else is interested.

After the money I've spent on Alfas the last couple of years the wife would kill me if I bought another one

Quote:
Its just been serviced/MOT'd so shouldn't need too much at the minute.

Yes, hopefully she'll give you many miles of trouble free motoring.

Quote:
But Im off to sunnier climes in a couple of days (Florida) so will have to wait untill I get back. Im lucky to be off work untill the end of September so plenty of time for 'fiddling about' Have checked the site out aswell Jon, I have a 04 Ulysee, a vespa and lambretta aswell, so might just pop up to a club meet sometime.
cheers
John

Florida, one of my favourite places, you lucky sod .Hopefully things are getting back to some sense of normality at the airports for you. Definitely call up to the club (we meet at the Tidy Doffer at Ravarnet on the first Tuesday every month about 7.45pm) and if you can make it to the September meeting you'll enjoy the tales of our world travelling Fiat Panda .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself