New member in trouble - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

New member in trouble

Hi Everyone

I wonder if anybody has come across a similar problem to this. I have a 2000 146 and last night was picking up a passenger. All of the doors were locked because my central locking sometimes has a mind of it's own - but that's a different story. Anyway, this passenger went to open the door, I realised that they were locked and opened it from it's inside handle. I think my passenger had the outside handle pulled up at the same time. The result of this is that I can't close this door, it's locked open. It seems to be the catch isn't click into place properly anymore and the outside handle doesn't return fully to it's usual position once you let go. I've spray wd40 all over it and have finally taken the door apart. I can't see a problem anywhere. Funny thing is, this happened on the same car about 2years ago, I took the door apart and fiddled about and the thing got fixed but I didn't know then what fixed it either. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: New member in trouble

Most door and boot locks have a capturing action in which the catch jaws 'roll' around the striker pin. You need to reset the catch into the receive condition by activating the handle and then prizing the catch open, at the moment it's in the closed condition....as you've found.

Last edited by harleyriv; 12-08-06 at 16:21.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for the quick reply. The catch itself is not in the closed position. The catch seems to lock if I push it in with a screwdriver or something but if I do this with the other doors I can only release the catch using the door handle, as it should be. On the troublesome door, if I push the catch to the closed position I can also push it to the open position with the screwdriver. I think I might have to take the other front door apart to compare
AO Silver Member

County: -

Right ok...sounds like the mechanism is damaged or the locking pawl is stuck in the open position...mech out job...good luck.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Hey Harley
Pulled apart the other front door and I could see the difference. The mechanism that the handle moves was jammed. Quick fiddle with a screwdriver fixed. Now to put them both back together. Hope I don't have spare screws left over!!!!!!!
Thanks again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
member , trouble