Blown diff - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 19-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147GTA

Help Blown diff

Hi All,

Just joined the forum, have been an Alfa nut for as long as I can remember, or should I say when my father introduced me to them and loved them ever since. Currently driving a 147 GTA which has been a great car till recently. I bought it new 1 year ago, it has 25k and the diff has just let go, and Alfa is saying not covered by warranty. Has anybody had this problem yet, and if so what has been the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: Blown diff

I gather that Alfa 147 GTAs have been blowing diffs in large numbers in Australia

Alfa Forum and Alfa Forum
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 19-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147GTA

From what I have heard, this seems to be a comman problem.
wrinx

There's a thread or two running on this forum also, Barballette has had success with a claim I think.

wrinx

AO Gold Member

I got the impression that most of the "noise" about broken diffs were coming from Australia????? Certainly Barbalatte is Australian.
wrinx

Ergo he's noisey?

wrinx

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Ergo he's noisey?

wrinx
ROFL
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Just a suggestion GTA_147 maybe consider getting an LSD isstead of a standard diff fitted?
Of course you should pursue some compensation, but maybe you could come to an agreement on labour for fitting the alternate diff even or something.

An LSD radically improves the GTAs.

Cheers,
TB
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 25-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147GTA

Thanks TB,

We have finally come to turns, they will repair at no cost to me. I am well aware of the LSD by Autodelta, I was actually considering installing before this actually happened, but when I am ready. The unfortunate thing is that I really enjoy the car and love driving it, I have been passionate about Alfa's for as long as I can remember and have restored 3 cars in my time. This has left a very bitter taste in mouth and whilst these monkeys are running the show here in OZ, I will certainly not be driving them anymore. When I get my car back it will go up for sale, and I will by something Germany.

Cheers
GTA 147
FZP

Member car:

Mazda

Hi Guys,
This seems rediculous that another GTA has blown its diff. My brother is going through this issue right now and, from all the info that I have read through on this website, it always seems to be a replica of the same issue. Time line goes something like this....diff breaks....they do an assesment.....state that its driver abuse...quote something about over revving....and then state its not under warranty...
GTA147-can you let me know how you got them to come to terms? This would be help us a great deal in getting this resolved. Currently looking down the barrel of 12K large to get it back on the road
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

"12K large" ????

Even an LSD only costs 1K plus a few hundred fitting

What country is your brother in, and is it a 147GTA?
FZP

Member car:

Mazda

its a 147GTA
Australia - the trouble is that when it let go, it took the rest of the gearbox with it. The break down of the costs are approx in A$
$2200-determine that the breakage was due to(according to their inspections) driver abuse-we're disputing this and off to the local tribunal shorty
$7000 in parts-gearbox/diff
$3000 resintall
AR is represented by a distributor here in Australia they had an independant report done according to them, but they wont show us a copy of this report showing why its driver abuse.
All we want is to be back on the road and enjoying what is an amazing car(other than this issue) nothing more nothing less
Is that too much to ask?
AO Member

Member car:

Holden Commodore

And then Alfa Romeo wonder why they can't sell cars in any significant quantity here in Oz.
Surely, it would be more profitable in the long run for Alfa to bear the costs (as they should) and reap the benefits by generating good will and protecting the brand; because stories like this are not going to encourage people to buy them.
FZP

Member car:

Mazda

Agreed, wouldn't it be much better if we were on here talking about how good the service that we received rather than trying to fight the same fight over and over agian.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZP
Hi Guys,
This seems rediculous that another GTA has blown its diff. My brother is going through this issue right now and, from all the info that I have read through on this website, it always seems to be a replica of the same issue. Time line goes something like this....diff breaks....they do an assesment.....state that its driver abuse...quote something about over revving....and then state its not under warranty...
GTA147-can you let me know how you got them to come to terms? This would be help us a great deal in getting this resolved. Currently looking down the barrel of 12K large to get it back on the road
Hi FZP,
I managed to get in contact with a person in Ateco and by passed the Dealer as dealer is only interested in making money and not looking after the customer, I did this after the dealer had notified me that Ateco advised that it was driver abuse.
I simply insisted that this was clearly a warranty issue and I was prepared to do whatever it took to have the job done under warranty.
I wrote to them a couple of times and expressed what I have just written above, and I am of the belief that they felt threatened and may have been concerned about the bad Publicity and simply kept them guessing.
In the end they did it as a gesture of good will and would not state that it was warranty, at that point I accepted, however if it is to happen again I would do excatly the same thing only this time I would take it further.

If you want to send me a private email please feel free to do so and I will be more than happy to discuss.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
blown , diff