New Alfa owner, lovely car, naff garage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 18-07-06 Thread Starter

Hmmm New Alfa owner, lovely car, naff garage

Bought the new car home yesterday. Not driven a diesel for a while but soon got used to it. Very pleased with the pulling power and also how quiet it drives. First drive home was soured by garage experience. Having signed paid and ready to go, I was shown the handbook and service history (for the first time) to find that the car was recalled at 12300 miles to have speedo changed due to a fuel guage fault. This meant my 30,000 mile car had actually done over 42000 miles. I was shocked and it obviously showed as the sales manager was brought out and they offered by first service free. I thought it strange that this came up at this stage and wonder now whether it should have reduced the price of the car. I know diesels are suppose to drive forever. The sales manager was soon acting like I was wasting his precious time and said he stood by his car. But after its first free service I think I will take the car somewhere else in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire
Re: New Alfa owner, lovely car, naff garage

Hmmm, sounds dodgey to me.

If they sold the car as a 30k miler, then they have breached the Trades Description Act. It doesn't matter that the engine has only done 30k miles - it's not the only component of the car that has wear & tear. Your suspension etc etc has done over 42k miles and this is a consideration when you are purchasing and negotiating the price.

Personally, I would take advice on this one. How old is the car? How is it's general condition? How much did you pay for it (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm not sure if the fact that you have now accepted the car will affect any comeback on the stealership.

Anyway, not to sound all doom and gloom

Hope the car is a good 'un and gives you many years of happy Alfa motoring.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

(btw, welcome to AO )
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

Hi and welcome, give it back to them - not as described...
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 18-07-06 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
Hmmm, sounds dodgey to me.

If they sold the car as a 30k miler, then they have breached the Trades Description Act. It doesn't matter that the engine has only done 30k miles - it's not the only component of the car that has wear & tear. Your suspension etc etc has done over 42k miles and this is a consideration when you are purchasing and negotiating the price.

Personally, I would take advice on this one. How old is the car? How is it's general condition? How much did you pay for it (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm not sure if the fact that you have now accepted the car will affect any comeback on the stealership.

Anyway, not to sound all doom and gloom

Hope the car is a good 'un and gives you many years of happy Alfa motoring.
Forgot to say the car was nine grand but this included having full leather seats which we arranged to have done last week. The car also had a tow bar on it which was not on it when we first looked! Apparently it was on the car originally and was removed and then added back on again!
mikebrown

your first decision is whether you want to keep it or not. If your keeping it then go back to them, tell em that it was not factually sold correctly (as previously mentioned) and that you require a form of monetary compensation, 12k is approx one years motoring...so i reckon a bag of sand back in your sky rocket....

if you do not want to keep it take it back and ask for all your money back, if they get stroppy inform them that you are going to inform the police regarding fraud and that you will also be instructing your solicitor

(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 18-07-06 Thread Starter

The garage in question was in Knutsford. Has anybody had any other good or bad experiences there?
AO Member

County: -

If it was Mangoletsi I've used them for several years and not had any complaints, however I've never bought a used car from them. I believe a seller has an obligation to disclose the correct mileage to you if they know it, or use a disclaimer stating they don't know whether the mileage is genuine or not.

A trade guide like Parker's should tell you the difference between the retail price of a 42,000 mile car and a 30,000 mile car. If it was me it would be "sod the service, cheque for the difference please" and I'd be off elsewhere.

If it was Mangoletsi and you are unhappy, speak to Fraser Hudson and I'm sure they'll sort it for you.
(p.s., welcome!)
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Super

Welcome fellow newbie!

I think the insult to the injury there is how soon the sales manager was tired of being apologetic. He should have been kissing your booty from here to kingdom come, because they have been caught with their pants down!

I'd be tempted to chat to a solicitor and see what they say. If you happen to have a Barclays Bank account, upgrade it to an Additions account (10 a month) - you get free legal advice, then when you're done cancel the Additions bit. Solicitor's advice for a tenner - job done

There's plenty of nice Alfa's out there, don't let these cowboys pull the wool over your eyes.

Alfa 166 3.0 Super
Ford Capri 3.0S

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , car , garage , lovely , naff , owner