Newbie - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 17-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Super

Greetings all

Took delivery a few weeks ago of a 98 Emerald Green 166 3.0 Super. You can see a pic of her (if you have REALLY good eyes!) as my avatar. Years ago I had the luxury of having a 166 2.0 TS as a company car (was my own choice as well!) and the only thing that parted me from it was Labour's new emissions tax, which clobbered me too much. I had to go from that to a Mini Cooper! But I loved that car, and even though it was a base model, it was still very well equipped and it just had a certain something, very hard to put your finger on, that made it SPECIAL. I love having a car that is rare on the road. Much better than having something common.

The 3.0 Super is fully decked out, and the only thing I can see that's missing is the satnav CD, but from what I've read that's not too uncommon. It was originally missing the CD changer, but the good man at UKAutoSalvage.com sorted me out. So I have cream leather and all the usual gear, just as I wanted it. Got to say so far she's been great, ambles along nice and quietly when you want and then when you hit the loud pedal there's that unique music from that marvellous engine. Since I bought her I've swapped out all the discs and pads and had the dreaded cam belt change done (ouch, is that EXPENSIVE!!) Went to a garage called L&M in High Wycombe and can recommend them thoroughly. Don't judge it by it's looks, the guys know their stuff and love their Italian cars, and small businesses like that have to do a good job as repeat business is their lifeblood. Much better than dodgy Alfa dealers - I had my fill of them during my TwinSpark days! Just need to get the bushes replaced and a new set of wheels and then she'll be as good as new (the current wheels look nice but have spacers on them and are creating havoc with the front end of the car - wheel wobble, vague steering and poor handling)

Also in my garage is an old 1979 black Capri 3.0S, which I've had since I was 19 (now 38) so she's been with me half my life - eek! But I just can't part with her, even though she's been off the road for 12 years. Still starts first turn of the key as well (with a pint of petrol down the carb LOL! )

Anyways. before I bought the Super I spent a lot of time looking through the forums here getting info on what to look out for, and I like to think you all helped me pick up a good one for a good price. So thanks for that and I hope to pay that back by helping some other potential new members, and maybe even some existing ones, in the future!

All the best

Mark

Alfa 166 3.0 Super
Ford Capri 3.0S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Newbie

hello and welcome to AO mate
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

Hi and welcome, 166 Super sounds great (can't fathom a 166 and a _capri_ though).....chalk and cheese !
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Welcome to AO

Pics of both cars would be great
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Welcome to AO....yes some pics of both would be great
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

hello and welcome

pics of both cars would be
mikebrown

welcome to AO dude

(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 18-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Super

Thanks all. Pics of the Alfa are uploaded - click on the link under my avatar.

Cheers for the comments on the Capri I will have to dig up some old photos of her from when she was mobile. It's the arthritis, you know, gets to all Fords in the end

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags