have been very happy with the diesel, even if now its a little past its prime and as its a very early one, overpowered by many newer models coming on the road. Torque is still excellent though especially for pulling away uphill
Major problems in its time? Apart from usual replacements such as tyres + bulbs overall have been very happy (touches wood instantly).
- early on the Clarion radio head needed replacement
- around 90k a key broke in the steering lock - could still drive car but bit unnerving and couldn't turn engine off until at dealers
- lower LH wishbone on front suspension replaced around 110k
- cam belt + all 4 brake discs replaced at 70k and 125k
- at 130k on the M6 motorway the ECU? failed repeatedly stalling the engine - after 20 mins engine would restart and could continue another 20-80 miles. Which was fine apart from when it failed on uphill stretch, southbound just north of Birmingham where roadworks meant only one lane... After trying to push the car "Mansell-style" 100 yards was helped by group of road workers who pushed 1/4 mile to safe spot. At least had a 40-tonne truck behind so everyone else thought that had broken down. Part was £19.95 and labour £260.
Main gripe - I bought the extended alfa maintenance when I purchased the car only to find services had to be booked 4-6 weeks in advance - which meant I broke the contract by exceeding mileage. Since then I only have one major service each year (just before MOT) by an alfa dealership and the other items do myself or by local workshops.
Main oddity - at very slow speed the steering column sometimes comes loose...