Greetings from Essex - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 30-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Greetings from Essex

Hi all glad to have found a decent alfa forum at last! I drive a blood red 145QV it's the best car I've ever owned (mind you I've owned some pretty dodgy ones to compare it with!) with it's super-quick steering, crisp, rorty engine and fine handling. And of course it looks like nothing else, especially with the optional 16" clover alloys and roof spoiler!

Previous motors include a mini (fun but lethal in the wet), fiat x1/9 (fun but lethal in the wet, and leaked like a sieve), hillman imp (fun but beige), 3 mk1 fiestas (indestructible and better than walking), 2 porsche 944s (quick but didn't feel it, $$$ to run) and a mk golf gti (absurdly quick to 30mph, but dangerous brakes and bicep busting steering ).

Claude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Re: Greetings from Essex

Hi Claude. Welcome to AO.
AO Gold Member

Hi Claude... Welcome to AO

I've not driven a 145 but I can believe that it would be a welcome relief after some of the cars you have owned. As you say, original Mini's, especially the Cooper S in standard trim were great fun but very much a handful at the limit, especially in the wet
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

Hi Claude, what did you think of the 944s ? I test drove one once, an S2, and I couldn't come to grips with it until I started driving it as if it were an old truck needing very heavy inputs on all the controls. I've always wondered if that was normal, or if I just was in a very bad example ?
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Re: Greetings from Essex - worst cars

Cheers guys. To answer your question RustyQV yes 944s are all like that. If you're used to Italian cars the controls all feel heavy and crude especially at slow speeds. They only start to make sense over 60mph when the steering feel really kicks in and the very deliberate gearchange lightening up the more you rev the engine. The handling is amazing at high speed but a little 'safe' at normal speeds. I can imagine it being great on a track though.

And AlfaMartini yep minis are pretty lairy in the wet - I spun mine twice one winter, once was a 720! Once they go they really go.

Cheers for your replies! What are the worst cars you've all owned?
mikebrown

welcome to AO Claude...

probably the worst car ive ever owned must be my TR7 ....1976 four speed 2.0ltr in the red (well pink !!) made at Speke on a friday afternoon !! good fun at times..but never had a car that broke down so much...

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Welcome to AO Claude

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
essex